Pekin ducks butt

Bubblesandbambi

Chirping
Feb 24, 2023
Hi, I noticed my pet duck’s butt is sticking out. Anyone know why? She also seems down (a bit upset) she’s not as active or quacking like she normally is. She’s still eating and drinking and walking here and there. Thank you.

Her butt just got very dirty as she’s been outside with the mud free ranging. But you can see her butthole sticking out

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 10
can you bring her into bathtub to clean her off good and then get a better picture? it does look like a prolapsed vent and it’s very important to clean it and keep it moist. and hopefully you will be able to push it back inside her. They were articles about prolapse on this site. I’ll see if I can find one and post a link to it.

can you bring her into bathtub to clean her off good and then get a better picture? it does look like a prolapsed vent and it’s very important to clean it and keep it moist. and hopefully you will be able to push it back inside her. They were articles about prolapse on this site. I’ll see if I can find one and post a link to it.
Thank you so much. Her butt does look exactly like the picture in the article so I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. We locked the girls in for the night so I will provide another picture under this thread and tag you tomorrow. Thank you! I’ll go ahead and do that tomorrow as well. I just don’t want anything to happen to her

Anytime there is a prolapse it is serious if it dries out it can't be fixed without a vet I am not sure a vet can even help if it dries. It is important to make sure to keep it clean and to apply something that will keep it moist vaseline, coconut oil, KY jelly. You may have to try many times to get it to stay in and make sure your hands are clean before trying to push it back inside you don't want to introduce bacteria.

You have to take a prolapse very seriously. If you can't go to a vet, you're going to have to help her yourself ASAP. I have dealt with this before and it was very helpful to read up online and watch some videos on YouTube of people trying to help. The tissue that is protruding has to be put back inside and it's very delicate. It can't be allowed to dry out. First I would allow her to bathe in a lukewarm bathtub in the house. Stage an area for her to stay inside where you can keep a close eye on her. I used a dog crate and draped it with sheets so poop and water didn't splash on my walls. I used KYjelly or honey to very gently finger the protrusion back inside until I could feel it was in place. I used a giant bandaid bandage that had an opening on the edges, so poop could escape, and placed it over the vent to hold the prolapse in place. I had to change the bandaid multiple times so that it didn't get too gross - you don't want to pull her feathers off, so I would just cut it and be careful not to hurt her. You only need to do this if the prolapse keeps popping back out. In my case I put the prolapse back probably 40 times before I came up with the bandaid option - we were both traumatized at that point. Once it started staying in my girl stayed in the house a few more days until it was healed and no longer a problem. Once she laid her next egg in the spring though it occurred again, and sadly we put her down. But many can recover from this! It's just going to take a little work on your part and keeping her inside, dry and clean, where you can help her when needed, for several days. No matter what, don't leave it and let her suffer!

Back
Top Bottom