Pekin Egg bleeding?

@Erica3600 , Welcome To BYC!
I agree with Shaw, it looks like you picked some off. Don't do that, it exposes more membrane that will dry out, and causes it to bleed as yours did.
It will be ok, but don't touch it anymore. It's going to have a harder time hatching on its own now because it won't be able to twist to zip as easily.
Just don't touch it and hope it does ok.
With ducks you need to wait longer than 48 hours in most cases, they're very slow but very strong and efficient hatchers. They very rarely need help.

I only picked because I saw blood and didn’t want it to get in baby’s nose. I haven’t opened it up anymore and humidity is still good. I hope he makes it. I feel so bad! This is my first time ever hatching any eggs

I only picked because I saw blood and didn’t want it to get in baby’s nose. I haven’t opened it up anymore and humidity is still good. I hope he makes it. I feel so bad! This is my first time ever hatching any eggs
It looks like you chipped some off of both of them. It's ok! I'm sure he'll be fine.
You're doing fine for your first time!
The baby could have pipped through a vein which may have caused the bleeding. It is common, and almost never causes any complications.

don't feel too bad, we had a polish chick get stuck and tried to help by picking away the shell but ended up having to help it completely out of the shell. It's still pretty early in the process so you likely won't have to do anything more unless it halts completely.

Update! Babies are finally out and doing well! One egg left to go (she was behind a few days so I think she will pop in the next day or two) One of the hatched babies still attached to the egg by her belly, but the yolk sac is empty. They are in the incubator and I’ll keep them there for the next 24 hours until they dry up. Thanks for all your help!!!!

Update! Babies are finally out and doing well! One egg left to go (she was behind a few days so I think she will pop in the next day or two) One of the hatched babies still attached to the egg by her belly, but the yolk sac is empty. They are in the incubator and I’ll keep them there for the next 24 hours until they dry up. Thanks for all your help!!!!
Yay!!! Congrats!!!

That is good news.
I would not leave them in the incubator for 24 hours though, I mean you can but it's not necessary.
As long as you have your brooder warmed up and ready to go I would take them out and put them in there as soon as they are dry, fluffy and alert.
They don't necessarily have to eat and drink right away because they have the nutrition from the yolk.
But so far I have found the sooner they start eating and drinking the stronger they are.

That is good news.
I would not leave them in the incubator for 24 hours though, I mean you can but it's not necessary.
As long as you have your brooder warmed up and ready to go I would take them out and put them in there as soon as they are dry, fluffy and alert.
They don't necessarily have to eat and drink right away because they have the nutrition from the yolk.
But so far I have found the sooner they start eating and drinking the stronger they are.
I was going to get them out when they get dry and fluffy, I heard 12-24 hours is fine. If they’re nice and dry before then, I will put them in the brooder. I’m not sure how long they’ll take to dry as this is my first time. The humidity is going from 70-80% so I’m hoping that won’t effect then getting dry. I still have one egg left that hasn’t even pipped (it’s a few days behind the others) and I don’t want to open the incubator until i have to.

This is my first time incubating eggs. These are pekin ducklings.
I’ve done a ton or research. It’s day 29 and these babies have pipped last night on day 28. On one of the eggs I’ve noticed a red clot of blood, is this normal? It is not bleeding, I just see the spot and it’s making me nervous. Humidity is at 70% and heat is at 99 degrees. Babies are chirping and moving around. I’ve heard after 48 hours of pipping, you may need to intervene. So I still have another day, but I can’t help but worry.
It is probably fine but you have to let them fight there own way out until those 48hrs are over then you can help cause in those 48hrs they're still closing the veins that are attached to the shell

I was going to get them out when they get dry and fluffy, I heard 12-24 hours is fine. If they’re nice and dry before then, I will put them in the brooder. I’m not sure how long they’ll take to dry as this is my first time. The humidity is going from 70-80% so I’m hoping that won’t effect then getting dry. I still have one egg left that hasn’t even pipped (it’s a few days behind the others) and I don’t want to open the incubator until i have to.
Oh, I missed how long they had been in in your first post. Leave them in 3 hours max. Even overnight is really too long for them to be in the incubator once hatched. They'll be dry enough to move to the brooder within an hour after hatch. They don't look dry, but they are.
The temp under your heat source must be 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and the end farthest from the source should be 85 degrees or under.
Can you post a pic of your brooder? What kind of feed do you have for them?

Back
Top Bottom