Pekin hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarkchick, Feb 9, 2016.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    Hi Sarkchick, how are your pekin eggs/ducklings doing? how many did you set? how many have hatched so far? What day are they at?
    I want to thank you for the email address, I sent patty an email. I sure hope she has some eggs for sale.
    keep us posted, please

2. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    HI Cyndi,
    Tonight starts day 30. They are only supposed to take 26 days. I set 8, 1 clear, 1 dis around day 14, 1 weak and 5 doing great. Will post in am about the unhatched chick.

3. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Duckling doing fine this morning. Unpip is still chirping. Day 31:thumbsup
    Sorry, can not figure out how to put picture on here

4. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Could the baby be unable to pip? Shrink wrapped, malpositioned...?

5. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @Sarkchick I took a "screen shot" step by step of how I upload pic to post. Do you see the bottom row of icons? the one with a square and a dot and mountains in the square? that is the "upload picture" icon you choose to post pics.
    I use a Samsung Tablet to do all my "online" communications and personal documents, so this is what it looks like on my tablet. Sometimes I do not see ALL the ICON's above, but if I click on the "full page editor" then all the icons will pop up
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps you.
    And if you are wondering how to get the @CyndiD or @Someone to pop up in blue you click on the "@" symbol and a window will pop up for you to type the BYC member you are looking to talk to... you need to know how to spell their profile name, or close to it, and when it pops up you chose their name and then click on "submit"
    To upload pics you have to choose a size and click on "submit" then they will show up just like this post/pic I will post below...
    [​IMG]

I was reading about hatching Pekin eggs and it says they take 28 days to hatch, just like mallard derived breeds.
    my runner and buff duck eggs hatched (just a week ago). the 1st one hatched on day 28, like clockwork, the 2nd on day 29 and the last 3 all hatched on day 31. So they can hatch within a day or more, give or take, on day 28. The one that hatched on day 28 had a large ambien sack/yolk sack she still had to absorb. she looked a day or 2 early, she survived well. I hatched 5 all together out of a FULL bator.
    [​IMG]
    The dark duck is the 1st hatched the other 2 hatched on day 31. I gave 2 away to a friend I met on BYC.
    I assisted the last 3 duck eggs. I peeled open a tiny bit of shell and could see them in there breathing and peeping. They hatched that day or the next day, I have to check my notes, my memory is shot, I have to write everything down.
    Hope all this helps. blessings to you and your ducklings.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Ok. I will try pictures that way. Thanks

8. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! :weee: :jumpy
    I AM SOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU.... HOW PRECIOUS YOUR BABIES ARE. THANKS FOR SHARING....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  9. CyndiD

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    The pic of the egg? did that one make it?

10. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    That is the 1 I am waiting on. It's the egg that started this thread. Day 31' the others hatched 2 days ago. It is still moving and chirping but still large veins on inner membrane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by