Pekin hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarkchick, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I enlarged and brightened up the picture. Dangled if I know where the bill is.

2. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    You may want to consider peeling a bit more shell off and trying to find the head. My concerns are that the baby can no longer get the head moved unassisted, too big and can no longer contract its muscles to absorb the yolk, again too big. There is also the chance the yolk is pinched because of position. I also keep bacitracin IN the bator at this point. It keeps it very liquidy and makes it easier to use if there's exposed yolk. And by now, both membranes are stuck together.
    My LouLou was this type of hatchling. Even had a piece of shell and membrane attached to her umbilical for a day and a half.

3. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Ding Ding Ding. The little bell just went off in my head. I could not see, but I could hear. I followed the chirps and found the bill at small end. Opened it a little. Do not know how it was breathing. Do not see a air pocket. Now time will tell. I've done all I can. Thanks for the support. Well reply went something happens

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Yep, I agree with Caesargirl. Gotta find the bill if possible.

I see the leg in the brightened pic, sorry I'm on mobile and couldn't really tell. The back of its neck should be toward the air cell end, and the bill under the wing

5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Oops my phone didn't update fast enough lol!

Glad you found it!

6. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    WVduckchick.
    Thank you for the help. I only opened a small area. It is in the small end of egg. The air cell was in the large end. That was where I cleared the shell. Should I open the area around the head more? I did wrap a wet paper towel around the (now bottom) large open area where the egg sack is. It is setting with bill up.

7. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Caesargirl. You have stayed with me thru this today. Thank you.

Do I leave it with a 1/4 inch whole at bill . Or open it so it can move its head.

8. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I'd give it half an hour and if there's no progress, open it more. My concerns are what I stated before.

9. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    I do not have bacitracin. I used neosporin ointment without pain med. I have kept that on the inner membrane and now the yolk.
    I reread your post. Not sure what you would do. Since the shell at the feet is gone-it does not have anything to push against.
    So remove the whole shell and wrap in loose wet paper towel??
    Sorry to be such a pain.

10. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    I'd remove more near where u found the head. I'm hoping by giving the head and neck room that it will start to try stretching. Because it's malpositioned, it can't struggle. I'm hoping to encourage the struggle. You're going to have to continue to help no matter what, but, struggling will help it absorb yolk. Just remember the umbilical is probably still attached to the membrane. So go slow. Neosporin is good too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by