Pekin hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarkchick, Feb 9, 2016.

1. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Not a pain! I have a horrible incubator and spent the last 2 seasons doing tons of assisted hatches.

Basically, try to free the head.

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Caesargirl has done alot more assisted hatches than I have so I defer to her experience, but I'm here for moral support and anything I can add.

3. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    WOW!! I am learning right along with you sarkchick. This is amazing. I would of wanted to take the shell off, but that is not the right thing to do, according the caesargirl.
    This is cool. I will refer to this thread, if and when I ever have an upside down chick/duckling. Thanks you for helping sarkchick out with this dilema.
    I assisted 3 of my ducklings last week, but I only opened a tiny hole where they were already pipping. I could see them inside breathing and moving and then they all hatched within hours of eachother on their own.
    This is such a learning experience... thank you all

4. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    I am right there with you on this experience with sally. I needed help with my 3 ducklings and felt brushed off also.

5. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Thank you all so very much for the help. I am fairly new to incubating. Pekins last year-hatched 10 of 12 with no problem. Then 2 batches Bantus-again no problems. Last month a batch AM, EE and RR no incubator problems ( fertility)
    I took off a lot of shell and some outer membrane around the head. Will let it rest and try to remove some of the inner me[​IMG]
    mbrane

6. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

It's a bad feeling when you really just need guidance. I know I was a lot stressed, and she is in demand. But others came to my aide

How did your duckling do?

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

That thread is really, really busy and she usually pushes duck hatches to others anyway, so dont feel bad. Plenty of others have alot of experience with ducks and assisted hatches!

8. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    My biggest problem with this one was the air sac was in the big end......but the head was at the small pointy end.

9. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas

Yes, you are right. Thank you for your help.

10. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Is it yawning or opening its mouth at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by