Pekin hatching problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sarkchick, Feb 9, 2016.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    I can't believe the egg has not hatched yet when the shell is 1/3 off. that is amazing. Is the membrane intact? Do you think you should assist and puncture the membrane?

2. Sarkchick

Sarkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    I tried that this morning. Opening a small hole where I did not see veins, got blood so stopped. Will try again tonight. It still moves and chirps

3. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    have you asked anyone else on any other threads, or do you know what to do and you are ok.?
    you could ask @Miss Lydia and see what she says??? or @Sally Sunshine

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Yes. I posted on the "Incubating with friends" first. The only response I got was from Sally. All she said was " I am not sure what to tell you with ducks, you will have to go with what you have already learned and what you delt with the others." I felt a little brushed off. I have been keeping up with that forum a log time. And I've seen her help people with all kinds of problems.

5. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    This is the latest picture. I peeled off some of the inner membrane . I think I see knees sticking up with egg yolk between. Looks like it is upside down. Tried candling-too dark, can not see where bill is. It is moving and chirping[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

@caesargirl @WVduckchick

7. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Ok. When u peeled off the membrane, any veins left?

8. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    Yes. 2 large ones, 1 going to what looks like the yolk. And another by the knee at bottom of picture.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    The red area looks like alot of yolk sac, so I would not try to rush it out any further, but I would try to locate the bill to make sure it's clear. Looks to me like the lower right part in the pic. Good luck!

10. Sarkchick

Oct 8, 2015
    SE Arkansas
    I think that's the knee you are looking at. The white knot at the very bottom of picture. The other knee is at the top above the yolk. Can not see it well because of shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by