Pekin is ill and pooping white/light yellow milky substance

Marilla

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
Hi All,

My 2 year old rescue Pekin was doing fine yesterday and this morning she (1) would not leave her nest, (2) was pooping a white to light yellow watery substance, (3) would not eat but we were able to hand feed her some lettuce, (4) she would drink. I took her to our vet an he said it was most likely the result of her ongoing reproductive problems - inflamation from over production of eggs (celomitis). He put her on antibotics (Baytril) and Metcam and scheduled her for surgery in a week to remove her reproductive equipment to stop this cycle.

Since I brought her home this morning, she has not wanted to eat unless handfeed, is still pooping the white to light yellow watery substance with occasional small pieces of green poop. When I palpate her underside near and above her vent she is clearly in a lot of pain. It feels swollen and spongy. I gave her 3ml of olive oil, let her swim in warm water for a little while and gave her some electrolytes in her water. I am very worried about her. Not sure what to make of her symptoms as they seem different than all the other times she was inflammed due to celomitis.

One other thought...we just adopted a 3 day old Cayuga duckling. They duckling appears quite healthy and did have one short introduction to my Pekin a few days ago. We put the duckling in with the Pekin for about 5 minutes, under supervision of course.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We love our Pekin very much.

Frances

I wouldn't leave the duckling with your Pekin at this point fine to let them get to know each other but a duckling has no defense against an adult duck

It will probably take a couple 3 days before you notice improvement in your Pekin. Sounds like you love her very much.
The vet could not feel an egg?
Welcome to BYC

Thank you for your feedback. She is finally feeling better! Still pooping white sometimes. Any idea what this is? She is eating and drinking and asking for attention and live.

I wouldn't leave the duckling with your Pekin at this point fine to let them get to know each other but a duckling has no defense against an adult duck

It will probably take a couple 3 days before you notice improvement in your Pekin. Sounds like you love her very much.
The vet could not feel an egg?
Welcome to BYC

hugs.gif

Thank you for your feedback. She is finally feeling better! Still pooping white sometimes. Any idea what this is? She is eating and drinking and asking for attention and live.
Maybe ask the vet to check for yeast. I had a bantam chicken that had yeast and she had white stuff coming out of her vent. It may not be yeast but they can do a culture and find out. You might also try a probiotic mixed into her food or water and see if that helps.
Glad she is feeling better too. Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom