Pekin laid....no more eggs...LOL something funny as well!

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hi everyone, i have pekin duck that has been laying fertile eggs( i have a pekin drake also) about everyday for about two weeks. All of a sudden she just stopped laying yesterday and it got me by surprised because i still wanted more to incubate like the other ones she has given me.
sad.png

Anyway is there a reason she might have stopped? she was born June 18th 2008. When is it that she might start laying again....will it be a long time? What can i do to stimulate her to start laying again?

...................I wonder if she started laying because she was awake longer with some a light bulb about weeks ago while i was finishing off the chicken coop for her and the chickens.....might that be it?

I appreciate the help
Thank you!

Last edited:
From what I understand, egg laying depends on available light levels. 14 hours a day seems to be the minimum. We just got done with the shortest day of the year. I would not be one bit surprised to hear your duck isn't laying.

I currently have 3 freeloaders myself
big_smile.png

Yep, egg-laying at this time of year is a crapshoot. I had a few spring '08 ducks that laid a few eggs back in August and then stopped. We've basically been eggless since then. Just within the last two weeks have we started getting a few eggs again. It's a relief too, I'm sure tired of feeding 36 females and having nothing to show for it!

Kris

OH YOU GUYS ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME.....LOL

My Pekin hen hasnt been producing any eggs, and just today I found FOUR EGGS in the coop.
ONE egg in one nesting box, and the THREE in the other nesting box.....why did she lay THREE all in that nestbox? is she trying to go broody? I want to put them in the incubator but i left them their to see if once she lays more she will sit on them.

I am going to calculate how many days its been since she hasnt been laying because either i never noticed or she layed three eggs in one day!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
LOL i just checked again today and i found one more egg.....this time with the four that she laid before. I think she is gathering them? Do ducks first lay the eggs, and gather them to then start sitting on them and going broody?

Just now i saw her sitting on them and this is the FIRST TIME!.....I love my ducks i hope i will be able to keep them in the long run. but i do have my hopes up!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom