Pekin Noisy Breathing

MiniBarnFarmMaine

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hi, I picked up five Pekin’s three days ago from tractor supply. One of the largest ducklings (they’re about 8 days old), came to me with best described as a stuffy nose.
i wouldn’t call it wheezing, just stuffy noisy breathing. I took a stethoscope and listened around his/her lungs, everything sounded clean as I compared the sound to another duckling.
Eats, drinks, active when the others are. Sneezes occasionally, sometimes after drinking it would seem. I’ve been placing vetrx around his/her nose and under the wing. Think maybe it’s just a cold?

Attachments

• 33B57F02-B431-45BB-8622-1A3D79C0F659.jpeg
    33B57F02-B431-45BB-8622-1A3D79C0F659.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi, I picked up five Pekin’s three days ago from tractor supply. One of the largest ducklings (they’re about 8 days old), came to me with best described as a stuffy nose.
i wouldn’t call it wheezing, just stuffy noisy breathing. I took a stethoscope and listened around his/her lungs, everything sounded clean as I compared the sound to another duckling.
Eats, drinks, active when the others are. Sneezes occasionally, sometimes after drinking it would seem. I’ve been placing vetrx around his/her nose and under the wing. Think maybe it’s just a cold?
Do they have a water dish deep enough to dunk their entire head?

My experience with Pekins they are not the best at cleaning themsleves even with deep water. I would give them a warm bath. They are more likely to clean their nostrils in a bath. Just make sure you dry them off after the bath.

My experience with Pekins they are not the best at cleaning themsleves even with deep water. I would give them a warm bath. They are more likely to clean their nostrils in a bath. Just make sure you dry them off after the bath.
They’re just about ready for bed right now, so I will let them all have their first swim tomorrow morning, especially the stuffy one!

They’re just about ready for bed right now, so I will let them all have their first swim tomorrow morning, especially the stuffy one!
They will love their first bath! If you find that the bath doesn't help, it could be an infection then. But with Pekins it is more likely it is not cleaning its nostrils well.

I forgot to mention you can also look in the nostrils and see if there is anything stuck in there. If you see something, you will want to carefully remove.

They will love their first bath! If you find that the bath doesn't help, it could be an infection then. But with Pekins it is more likely it is not cleaning its nostrils well.

I forgot to mention you can also look in the nostrils and see if there is anything stuck in there. If you see something, you will want to carefully remove.
I hope that’s only the case! Not many people around here do poultry, and with the way things are right now they’re booked 3 weeks out on appointments 😒

Back
Top Bottom