Pekin Owners...show us what you got!

Shadowhills Farm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2009
DuPont, Washington
Just a fun thread so all the Pekin owners can post pics of their awesome ducks!

Here's mine:
14ih2ls.jpg

^ That's Squirt, Pekin Drake about 7 months old. He just won 2 Best of Breeds and 2 First Places at his first show last weekend! The other duck peeking out is Miss Quackers, Pekin female....she is "Handi-Quacked"( info below).

2rvzvja.jpg

^ That's Miss Quackers, Pekin female about 7 months old as well. She is "Handi-Quacked", as were not sure what happened to her. She was fine when we got her. Now she has the "duck freckles" on her bill, and her legs are all deformed. So when she wants to walk, she wobbles and has to use her wings to balance. Her favorite thing is to go swimming in our "duck pool".

2drmkw.jpg

^ The group: Squirt is the tall one, Miss Quackers is the one lower to the ground, and then there is Rou, the Rouen female:)

Those are all beautiful ducks! Congratulations on your award-winning drake, and how nice of you to provide so well for Miss Quackers. I started with Khaki Campbells for the eggs but my young son wanted some Pekins. I thought they were too common, but I got 2 for him anyway. He's my top poultry wrangler here and deserves to have his (reasonable) wishes fulfilled.

I picked out 2 Pekin ducklings from the feed store & tried to sex them myself to make sure they were both girls. They were so adorable as little yellow babies we started calling them our Rubber Duckies, and now they're named Latex and Vinyl. We all, myself included, love them especially much. They both did turn out to be hens and are keeping up with the Khakis in the egg-laying department, often laying double-yolkers.

We're trying to endear ourselves to them by bribing them with thawed frozen peas. Latex is learning the benefit of coming to eat out of our hands, but Vinyl is still a bit shy. I wish I had pictures to post now, I'll try to get some on later.

Aww I love your girls' names! That is too cute!

Thanks for the compliments! We are really starting to get into the showing scene, and we are really trying our best to provide not only for Miss Quackers, but for everyone.

I just came inside from letting the herd run around and swim. The chickens were having fun catching bugs, sun bathing in the dirt and eating grass and weeds. The ducks had fun swimming around. Miss Quackers needed a lot of help today getting in the pool and getting out. Usually she can get in and out on her own, but I gladly picked her up to put her in and take her out of the pool. She also didn't seem to want to walk back in the coop like she usually does. I just picked her up and placed her inside.

Now everyone is just chilling in the pen. Hopefully later (if there is time) I can pull up some grass and weeds for them or go to the store and get them some lettuce.

If anyone is going to the BYC Swap Meet in Dunnellon in January, we will be there with our ducks, including Miss Quackers(and chickens too!). Everyone else gets to travel a lot (with going to the fairgrounds for meetings and shows), and Miss Quackers gets stuck home. So hopefully she will like to be away from home for once!

I love all of my ducks but my Pekins seem to be the funniest/silliest/most entertaining of the lot, and the most opinionated...they have something to say about everything...nosy as in follow me around when I am in their lot and just quack up a storm with each other about what I am doing...I really wish I could speak duck and know what they are saying about me...some of the gang
DSCN2912.jpg

Last edited:
Haha yes they quack about everything! It is so cute when Squirt runs, cause when he does, there he is blabbing about something! Then Miss Quackers and Rou join in blabbing about stuff! I just hope that they aren't saying mean things about me!

OhMyGosh! Your pic just came up after I posted what's above....I ENVY YOUR FARM!!! I totally want all those ducks running around here! That pic is too cute!

Last edited:
The bill freckles are normal and can pop up on all kinds of ducks. Other than being a show default, there is no problem with "freckles"
big_smile.png

As for the legs, ducks are susceptible to leg issue when there is a niacin and/or biotin deficiency in the feed. I supplement with brewer's yeast to help prevent that. Others use alfalfa and/or bone meal.

As for the legs, ducks are susceptible to leg issue when there is a niacin and/or biotin deficiency in the feed. I supplement with brewer's yeast to help prevent that. Others use alfalfa and/or bone meal.

It is so weird because we got Squirt and Rou with her. I believe they were in separate troughs when we got them though.

Would brewer's yeast, alfalfa or bone meal help at all now? Or is there something else that can help now? We use to supplement our feed with Oyster Shell, but the Fiancee said they really don't need it (as we only have 1 laying hen). But I think the Oyster Shell helped Miss Quackers out some...​

Mine are super chatty busy bodies as well... they will run from us but then follow us to the ends of the yard... all the way to the main road and back. They visit my neighbor's ducks who are locked up tight on the other side of the fence. But no matter what Lily (our only female) will let me daughter hug and pet her long as my daughter brings her cracked corn. My boy, Christmas is still a bit stand offish with the we one, but he's gotten to trust me more! I love watching them swimming around the pond visiting all the neighbors.

My duckies with their silkie mama who hatched them last november:

ducklings2.jpg

Lily and Christmas 2 weeks ago:
ducks_09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom