Pekin pullet stunted growth, runs in an unusual way

Tammys kevin

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
My pekin pullet Marshmallow is 5 months old, and is ridiculously small compared to 9 month old, smaller than pictures of other Pekins her age, her feathers are dull and she acts like she's depressed all the time. She eats drinks and poops normal.
She walks everywhere slowly, except when she has to run, and when she runs it looks more like she's skipping, if that makes sense. My other Pekins move their legs but their upper body doesn't move much when they run, but marshmallow hops from one foot to the other, and her body sways and she looks very unbalanced. I've felt around for injuries but I couldn't find anything. She also gets chased by every other chicken I have except for my mature silkie hens

I had a runty Ancona, who I never thought was going to live to adulthood. She was a third the size of her peers, and then she was badly wounded in an accident. So, she already had some issue going on and then had to recover from some pretty impressive injuries. I'll be darned- that little girl made it to adulthood and has survived longer than any of her peers did. I still have her, in fact. She was runty, then injured, then bullied badly because she was runty and injured, but somehow managed to outlive all her bullies. She also moved oddly because she had some congenital abnormalities and then got a broken leg.

Let nature take its course with your bird. Check her over for the usual suspects- bugs, worms, injuries. If you see nothing obviously wrong then you have done all you can do and will need to let things work out as they will.

Good luck.

I had a runty Ancona, who I never thought was going to live to adulthood.  She was a third the size of her peers, and then she was badly wounded in an accident.  So, she already had some issue going on and then had to recover from some pretty impressive injuries.  I'll be darned- that little girl made it to adulthood and has survived longer than any of her peers did.  I still have her, in fact.  She was runty, then injured, then bullied badly because she was runty and injured, but somehow managed to outlive all her bullies.  She also moved oddly because she had some congenital abnormalities and then got a broken leg. 

Let nature take its course with your bird.  Check her over for the usual suspects- bugs, worms, injuries.  If you see nothing obviously wrong then you have done all you can do and will need to let things work out as they will.

Good luck.
I use Electrolyte it has vitamins in it but it's really to help keep them hydrated in hot weather, in louisiana it sure can get hot :( but there is also Probiotic it's maintain digestive health it has live (viable) naturally occurring micro organisms. One pk makes a gallon

Back
Top Bottom