Pekin running funny?

Moonducks58972

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
United States, Texas
So today while trying to get my ducks back into their enclosure I noticed one of my Pekins running weird. What happened was it was running and all of the sudden it looked like it lost
balance and fell down twice, once on its rear and then on its chest. Also it was way slower than the other ducks, I didn't see any injuries on its feet when I examined the pekin. So can
anyone give me ideas on what's up with that duck?

Ducks aren't exactly know for being graceful on land. It could just be a case of him being clumsy. For now I would just keep an eye out for other symptoms, like laying down a lot or not wanting to walk.

Are you giving supplemental niacin with their feed?

Well no, I don't really give them supplemental niacin in their feed (to be honest I didn't know what supplemental niacin was until I looked it up). Also it doesn't look like
the duck is limping or anything like it. It's just slower than the others and I just saw it
go of balance while running so I decided to post about this just in case there's something that could be wrong with the duck.

Well no, I don't really give them supplemental niacin in their feed (to be honest I didn't know what supplemental niacin was until I looked it up). Also it doesn't look like
the duck is limping or anything like it. It's just slower than the others and I just saw it
go of balance while running so I decided to post about this just in case there's something that could be wrong with the duck.
I have an 8 week pekin who was healthy at the nighttime check then was doing the exact thing Pp

I have an 8 week pekin who was healthy at the nighttime check then was doing the exact thing Pp
sorry duck in my lap moved is this a niacin deficiency? My little guy does lay down and when he tries to get up falls over on his side and sometimes on his face
1f622.png
he started off looking like he was gasping then I noticed he had a cough so we have been giving him electrolytes keeping him warm and making sure he's eating and hydrated. He seems to be a little better after 2 days of this the gasping and coughing has stopped and he's standing a little better but still not 100%?

Well so far the duck seems fine so I am going to diagnose it as " a klutz ". But I will be closely watching the duck to make sure that there's nothing wrong. The good thing is that it's not lying down like as if it was in pain or weak and seems to be eating and drinking just fine. So I think there may not be anything wrong with the duck, but like I said before, I'll keep a close eye on that duck.

Well so far the duck seems fine so I am going to diagnose it as " a klutz ". But I will be closely watching the duck to make sure that there's nothing wrong. The good thing is that it's not lying down like as if it was in pain or weak and seems to be eating and drinking just fine. So I think there may not be anything wrong with the duck, but like I said before, I'll keep a close eye on that duck.
yours seems to be doing much better than my little guy! Let me know how yours does and I'm going to get niacin tomorrow so I'll let you know how it works god forbid yours gets any worse! I hope not I have 3 kids and worrying about the duck has me more stressed than I have ever been w them! Lol

Make sure they are getting enough niacin. If you are feeding a chick starter feed you will likely need to add additional niacin. If you are feeding a duckling starter you may not need to add anything. Just check the label to be sure. They need 55 mg per kg.

Not having enough niacin as ducklings can cause problems as they get older. This article explains a lot about it and tells you some different options on how to add it if you need to.

http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Back
Top Bottom