Pekin with bumble foot

When should I start soaking her foot? And for how long every time? And what kind of container do you recommend I soak her foot in? Angelina, isn't the only one with bumble foot but hers is the worst and most noticeable.
Here is a picture of Ducks bumble foot this is also from last yearView attachment 3021709View attachment 3021710
I would start soaking their feet tonight. I use a shallow plastic foot tub like container. Warm water with Epsom salt. Soak for at least 10 minutes up to 30 minutes. I've heard of some folks using a 5 gallon bucket and cutting a hole in the lid for the duck to stick their head out but can't escape. Dry the foot, slather on a thick layer of neosporin, bandage the foot. It's good to do this every 24 to 48 hours. If the bandage gets wet between soaks, it'd be best to change it. Keep the duck in a smaller area with soft grounding. Within a few days of this, you should be able to pick away at the scab and pus. A hole will be left behind once it's all gone but continue to use neosporin and wrapping and it will fill in with healthy new skin.

I would start soaking their feet tonight. I use a shallow plastic foot tub like container. Warm water with Epsom salt. Soak for at least 10 minutes up to 30 minutes. I've heard of some folks using a 5 gallon bucket and cutting a hole in the lid for the duck to stick their head out but can't escape. Dry the foot, slather on a thick layer of neosporin, bandage the foot. It's good to do this every 24 to 48 hours. If the bandage gets wet between soaks, it'd be best to change it. Keep the duck in a smaller area with soft grounding. Within a few days of this, you should be able to pick away at the scab and pus. A hole will be left behind once it's all gone but continue to use neosporin and wrapping and it will fill in with healthy new skin.
Okay, thank you! I will start soaking it tomorrow. I don't know where to keep her though. Other than the coop or the pallet coop that I am going to make for the ducks. I am sure I can figure something out.

One thing I forgot to mention, don't let her drink the Epsom salt water. When ingested, it acts as a flush and cleans them out. You don't want this ☺️
Yeah, I know it's not good for them. Thank you for mentioning it though.
And I don't have anything to wrap her feet with so should I still soak her feet until the next time I can go into town? And do you have a picture of the Neosporin that I am supposed to use? I don't know exactly know if there are different kinds or something.

I am going to use this kind of bucket to soak Angelina's feet in.
20220312_111820.jpg

And what all do you recommend soaking her feet in, I have heard of other things being used besides epsom salt but don't remember what it was.

So I took Angelina into the breezeway with Jem, and tried out the wight bucket and it didn't fit her very well so I am going to find something else. All I did was put warm water in it, I am going to wait till we get stuff to wrap her feet in before I start putting Epsom salt in the water. And I can get her used to the bucket and being in the breezeway while I wait till we can get the stuff we need. That way when I do the Epsom salt soaks she will not freak out to much and will also not try drinking out of the bucket with epsom salts in it. When I soak her feet in the Epsom salts I will make sure to bring a clean water container for her to drink from.
Quick question is there any specific kinds of bandaging that I should use too wrap her feet with?
Here are the pictures of them in the breezeway.
20220312_114712_HDR.jpg
20220312_114620_HDR~2.jpg

Is this poop normal Angelina is the one that dropped it, I see the ducks have poops like this every now and again. They all act normal.
20220312_115545.jpg

Angel my 7 year old pekin has been getting picked on, I mostly see the drakes do this too her. They pull on her feathers when she doesn't get out of the way, but because she has a hard time walking she cant move away from them when they do this. Should I separate her from them until her feathers grow back. It looks like where the feathers grow out from is a little swollen where the feathers are broken on this wing, the other wing does not from what I can tell have this "swelling" I am not sure if you can see it.
20220313_115815.jpg

20220313_115823.jpg

Angelina has a broken feather now too, I am working on making a pallet coop for the ducks, so hopefully once they have a bigger space that is just for ducks that this will stop. Angelina's feathers are in better shape then Angels.
20220313_120423_HDR.jpg

Today we got the stuff to wrap Angelina's feet with. And the only triple antibiotic stuff we have is with pain relievers.
Sorry about the picture being upside down, I didn't realize it would be that way when I took it.
20220316_160622.jpg

We got 2 things of porous tape, 4 box's of 2x2 gauze pads, 2 things of vetrap 4 in x 22 yd.
And then one thing of this.
20220316_162259.jpg

As well as green goo.
20220316_162630.jpg

What do you use to hold your chicken/duck/animal first aid kit?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom