Pekin with bumble foot

Pics
Feb 5, 2022
Wyoming
This is Angelina, she is a three year old pekin. We got her from Murdoch's so I have had her since she was a two day old duckling.
20220220_124516_HDR.jpg

She has had bumble foot for over a year now. I have tried treating it with epsom salt soaks but didn't do it enough and did not have confidence in myself to treat it properly. I do not have wraps or duck shoes for her but I am going to get some if those things are what is needed for the treatment.
I need help figuring out if I can still treat this with epsom salt soaks or if I have to surgically remove the bumble foot.
Here is pictures of her feet in September 2021
This one is her right foot.
20210902_183659.jpg

This is her left foot.
20210902_183650.jpg

These are pictures of her right foot from today.
20220225_175830.jpg

20220225_175820.jpg

It does not seem to bother her to much she does limp a little and sits quit a bit but is able to get around okay, she acts like a normal duck and keeps her feathers in good condition.
I think I covered all that i can think of right now. Ask as many questions about her as needed. I don't really have pictures of the coop right now but tomorrow I will get some. I really want to work on getting her in good shape I want all my ducks and chickens to be healthy and happy.

That ankle is a bit concerning. In my opinion, there's a good chance that you can treat this with soaking, wrapping and eventually removing the scab and pus without making any incisions. The ankle worried me because the infection can move into the bone/joint. At this point, it can be more difficult to treat. The longer the infection is there, the risk goes up for bone deterioration and/or sepsis.

Hi @AngelinaThePekin8 so sorry you are dealing with this. My duck has been struggling with bumblefoot for 7 months now....and its been a battle. I haven't been able to treat her a whole ton lately due to huge house and health issues, so we are still struggling. I had been treating it morning and night for weeks and months...but I cant do that right now. I'm not sure exactly what you should do for this case, but I will attach the thread on my duck so you can read what information I got from others and what I have done. You might want her to be seen by a vet if you can. Keep us updated! Praying she heals! :hugs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-in-pekin.1497717/

Hi @AngelinaThePekin8 so sorry you are dealing with this. My duck has been struggling with bumblefoot for 7 months now....and its been a battle. I haven't been able to treat her a whole ton lately due to huge house and health issues, so we are still struggling. I had been treating it morning and night for weeks and months...but I cant do that right now. I'm not sure exactly what you should do for this case, but I will attach the thread on my duck so you can read what information I got from others and what I have done. You might want her to be seen by a vet if you can. Keep us updated! Praying she heals! :hugs
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-in-pekin.1497717/
Thank you! I don't know if there is any vet where I live that do ducks or chickens. But I will see if I can give the vet that we take our dog and cat too a call, and find out.
I hope your duck is able to heal well too. I will be sure to keep you updated.

That ankle is a bit concerning. In my opinion, there's a good chance that you can treat this with soaking, wrapping and eventually removing the scab and pus without making any incisions. The ankle worried me because the infection can move into the bone/joint. At this point, it can be more difficult to treat. The longer the infection is there, the risk goes up for bone deterioration and/or sepsis.
When should I start soaking her foot? And for how long every time? And what kind of container do you recommend I soak her foot in? Angelina, isn't the only one with bumble foot but hers is the worst and most noticeable.
Here is a picture of Ducks bumble foot this is also from last year
20210902_183742.jpg
20210902_183745.jpg

Back
Top Bottom