Pekin with infection in joint - REALLY need advise!!

SamDuck24

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2017
Hey guys,

So my Pekin Drake Merry cut his leg on who knows what on the 8th of August. It became infected within the joint at the top of his leg - but we caught it very early. He was on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory/painkiller for a month and we saw some serious improvement. He was starting to put pressure on the leg and use it in the water. Two weeks ago i had him board at the vet for 5 days as i was away and when i brought him home i noticed he could not walk again and they said it was fine - he needed exercise. The condition has not improved and he cannot walk at all. He use to stretch his leg out and he doesn't move it at all anymore. I assume maybe the vet rested him too much and now the joint has healed stiff (If that's a thing?) and he cannot stretch it out...

He does not use it in the water at all...

What on earth do i do? I have been giving him the right food, supplementing with a vitamin B mix for birds and giving him his pain meds in the morning...

I should mention that even though he is able to get out of his bath easily with a step etc, he insists on launching himself out and landing pretty hard on his leg (if that may have something to do with this)

I'm heartbroken to see him like this :(

He's going to the vet today for x-rays and i'll keep you all posted but what is the recovery plan here for a joint that's gone stiff?

My understanding is joint infections can require up to 3 months of antibiotic treatment, so possibly the infection has flared up again? Can you get the vet to test a sample of fluid taken from the joint?

I have a duck with chronic joint inflamation and the only thing that's improved her mobility was high doses of vitamin c (500 mg twice daily) over about 6 weeks. I think after the first few doses she actually quite liked the orange fizzy taste of it too!

Back
Top Bottom