Pekin WWF

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandogirl, Mar 9, 2013.

1. mandogirl

mandogirl New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    I have five Pekin ducks that are siblings. They were hatched last summer sometime. I think they are all males, guessing by the curly tail feather. They are horrible to each other! All of a sudden with spring, they have started beating each other up. They all have bare necks and blood spots. They don't seem to pick on one particular duck, it seems like it is a free-for-all. Will they eventually stop doing this? I'm concerned they will seriously hurt one another. We call it the World Wrestling Federation duck style.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are there any female ducks nearby? I am aware of all-drake flocks that get along okay as long as they are at least fifty feet or so from ducks.

Springtime is the worst - hormones.

3. mandogirl

mandogirl New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    No female ducks anywhere near. They are the only ducks I have. Hopefully they will stop picking on each other soon. I'm worried about them.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Consider splitting them up. Duck relationship monitoring is not easy, and it is necessary to prevent injury and even death. I find having temporary fence a blessing. Right now, we are having issues with our first drake so crazy about one of our buffs, and she's having laying issues right now, that he and the two other buff girls have to be kept on the other side of the fence from the rest of the flock. Romy likes Bean, but with her problems right now I don't think mating is a good idea. Oy.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are you sure they are all males? Each has a tail curl? I'd do like Amiga suggests and seperate them. It may or may not work itself out. Typically all males would be okay as long as there are no girls around. They may just be REALLY feeling their hormones.

Have there been any changes recently with them? One of them removed for a few days and put back? Housing changes? Etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by