Peking problems

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So my 3 pekings aren't laying yet. (1 is male...so he has an excuse.)

But this is very frustrating. And I've already had a tough time getting this project to work this year with other non-related problems. I want this project to be self sustaining.

I got them around mid-December last year.

I need help to know when I should just start over with something else? I have been trying to get them to lay eggs. I'm getting nothing from those three.

And could it be possible they were doing something with genetics to send out mules that can't lay? (Got from Cal Ranch.) (They look like they are full peking though...)

When should someone decide, its time to throw in the towel and just start over with different ducks?

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to make them lay, but there are some things that help. A safe stable housing setup. Ducks don’t like change, things like coop construction or adding a duck to the flock etc. could cause them to go on a laying strike. Good nutrition and plenty of clean drinking water are needed to make eggs, ducks who are malnourished or sick in any way won’t be able to lay. Apologies if I’m stating the obvious, but these things are important. Some ducks like to hide their eggs, sometimes it’s in places you didn’t realize they can even get to. Look for hidden nests. If the run is not covered, some wild birds will eat/steal eggs. If I don’t collect my eggs quick I have seen crows, ravens, and magpies eat them. Some birds are just slow to mature. I once had a chicken that didn’t lay until it was 11 months old. This is not normal, but in the realm of possibilities. Also I’d ask how confident you are in the sex of your ducks... are the two suspected females loud quackers? Do they make the same or different noises than your male?

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to make them lay, but there are some things that help. A safe stable housing setup. Ducks don’t like change, things like coop construction or adding a duck to the flock etc. could cause them to go on a laying strike. Good nutrition and plenty of clean drinking water are needed to make eggs, ducks who are malnourished or sick in any way won’t be able to lay. Apologies if I’m stating the obvious, but these things are important. Some ducks like to hide their eggs, sometimes it’s in places you didn’t realize they can even get to. Look for hidden nests. If the run is not covered, some wild birds will eat/steal eggs. If I don’t collect my eggs quick I have seen crows, ravens, and magpies eat them. Some birds are just slow to mature. I once had a chicken that didn’t lay until it was 11 months old. This is not normal, but in the realm of possibilities. Also I’d ask how confident you are in the sex of your ducks... are the two suspected females loud quackers? Do they make the same or different noises than your male?

The two females are loud and honk like crazy. Its kind of loud quack that's more like a honk than a quack. And I have seen the drake mating on top of them, biting their heads etc. Just no eggs. I check their spots where they sleep and where they hide out during the day and I haven't been finding anything.

The drake is pretty quiet. The other drake that isn't peking sounds like him also.

Part of why I want to figure this out soon is because typically hatcheries will be supplying until September...well that's coming up pretty quick.

So I don't want to miss out on the season if I have to do an alternative, if something is wrong. (So you can see why I'm trying to figure it out now.)

The temperatures haven't helped any haha. Around 100 most of the week.

Oh wow, last year December! I saw December but I guess it didn't register that it was last year! Maybe change your title too, "one year old pekin ducks won't lay!" And you will get more help. I don't know if there is a way you can get them to lay or not, but maybe you can figure out why they aren't? Good luck, Avery

Back
Top Bottom