Pelleted 'all flock' feed in southern VA

canesisters

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 18, 2011
Virginia
Does anyone know where I might be able to find an 'all flock' feed in pelleted form?
I've tried Southern States (Petersburg and Lawrenceville), Tractor Supply (South Hill), my local neighborhood feed store - even Walmart.. The only pelleted feed I can find is layer feed. Everything else is crumbles.
They can special order if for me - if I want a pallet of it.
ep.gif

I'd guess that it's because most folks who buy an All-Flock want a feed that chicks can eat as well as the adults. So, they stock it in crumble form. I've never been able to find it in a pellet but it's not a huge deal because it turns out that they will eat whatever is in the feeder.

???
Several weeks ago I had asked my local feed store about ordering pellets - no go.
This past Friday I called them and asked them if they would set a bag each of my horse and chicken feed out on the porch because I was going to be late getting there. (They are SOO great about this sort of thing!) Anyway, I ran by and grabbed the bags and Saturday morning when I opened them - the chicken feed was pellets.
yesss.gif

I mixed a couple of handfulls of pellets in with their scratch - to see if they'd eat it. They SCARFED it up! Finished the pellets before going after the seed. YEAH! I can't wait to transition them over to pellets. I'm hoping to have much less waste when they can see the pellets and pick them up instead of trampling crumbles into the dirt.

Does anyone know if it will cause problems if I have to occasionally switch them back and forth.

I can only speak for my flock but they'll eat whatever is in the feeder. I've switched back and forth from all-flock crumbles to a couple different layer pellets as the flock members and season have changed. I'm always dismayed when folks talk about their picky chickens.

ETA: I've had the co-op "special order" something for me a couple of times and it's never required buying a whole case or pallet. If they don't have it in stock, they can submit a request to have it added to their next truck and I just pick it up then. Not a huge deal at all. I'm guessing that the first person you spoke with didn't know they could do that and someone clued them in on how they could.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom