Pellets or crumble, and why?

Which do you prefer to feed your chickens,pellets or crumble? Why?

• Pellets

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Crumble

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I probably provide too many options for my girls, but they get a whole grain based commercial feed both dry and fermented + a crumble dry in a separate feeder.

Both feeds are organic, non-GMO starter/grower (egg/oyster shell on the side). The whole grain based feed is far, far more popular than the crumble. I am planning to change crumble brands (since a better brand just became available at my local feed store) so I will be able to see if that makes a difference in their preferences.

I would love to mix my own whole grain based feed, but I don't go through enough feed for it to be worthwhile.

HAS ANYONE ASKED THE CHICKENS WHAT THEY PREFER? kidding:idunno
Is it FOOD? Then they have no preference, at least mine wouldn't.

I prefer pellets for my adults. As mentioned more waste with crumbles. Likely a lot more waste with whole grains unless they were all equally desired by the chickens. Definitely use starter for chicks although they would probably try to down a whole pellet if they found one.

I prefer mash from a local feed mill, less processed than crumbles or pellets. It's basically the same thing just not pressed into shape. It's powder and crushed/cracked grains and legumes and everything else that goes into regular commercial feed.
Makes it a lot cheaper skipping the pelletizing process, $10 for 50lbs.
Ferments better also, I can use as much water as I want and it doesn't turn into slop/mush, water runs right off it.

Back
Top Bottom