Pellets or crumble, and why?

Which do you prefer to feed your chickens,pellets or crumble? Why?

• Pellets

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Crumble

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Would you mind sharing the mix you use. I have to go pick up food for my 2week+ chicks today. Any suggeztions? Is this ok? Its what i have been giving themView attachment 1360046
That's what I've used except it was the medicated version. I've also used a bag of Nutrena Country Feeds starter grower and ManaPro starter. All were 18% Protein and medicated.
But by far I've bought way more Purina Start and Grow than the other two brands.
I only had 5 chicks to feed and it was easy to find 25# bags of Purina. GC

I don't ferment, and my chickens have no feed preference (they're fed twice a day, and they empty the pan both times, so they may just be too hungry to care) so I feed pellets or mash. My feed pans are just that—pans. Crumbles get scratched right out of it, and they don't get picked up. Pellets get scratched out and eaten, and mash is so fine that the chickens can't kick it out easily.

I do get starter crumbles when someone's hatched a batch (or when TSC strikes again), but it's reserved for the chicks due to the cost difference

HAS ANYONE ASKED THE CHICKENS WHAT THEY PREFER? kidding:idunno

Actually mine have voted. ;) 3 of 3 voted that dry mash is preferable to layer pellets. 2 of 3 prefer fermented mash over layer pellets. Too bad their votes don't count for anything, because they're too wasteful with dry mash.

It might have sounded like a dumb question @4 Georgia Hens but you would be surprised how often we read someone is feeding their chickens nothing but corn or scratch. Really bad diet. And no, chickens will not lay every day if you feed them whole oats, cracked corn and bread. They won't be healthy either.

I once asked my husband to feed the chickens for me. Came home to find he gave them a scoopful of grit!

Back
Top Bottom