Pellets or crumble, and why?

Which do you prefer to feed your chickens,pellets or crumble? Why?

• Pellets

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Crumble

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I keep it simple.
I don't do fermenting. I like the convenience of filling my 12# feeder with dry pellets once a week and cleaning and filling my 2 gallon galvanized fount once a week. I lift and tilt the waterer daily to get the trough clean of feed that washes from their beaks. GC

It might have sounded like a dumb question @4 Georgia Hens but you would be surprised how often we read someone is feeding their chickens nothing but corn or scratch. Really bad diet. And no, chickens will not lay every day if you feed them whole oats, cracked corn and bread. They won't be healthy either.
I am not surprised one bit! I've read quite a few stories. I feed them organic, all-natural, laying hen feed. It has grains and seeds. It’s isn’t scratch!

Actually mine have voted. ;) 3 of 3 voted that dry ma9sh is preferable to layer pellets. 2 of 3 prefer fermented mash over layer pellets. Too bad their votes don't count for anything, because they're too wasteful with dry mash.
:gigMine would vote for fermented crumble. My hens follow me from coop to coop & practically climb into the fermented feed bucket as I'm scraping it into the feed pans. Plus the only thing that's in the pail is fermented Purina All Flock Raiser. No added seeds or grains. Love it for starting chicks out as well. In the winter months being as I come from a cold & snowy climate I will add a very small amount of boss to the pail. My pail feeds 40 birds & when I add boss to it, it is only a cup per pail.

Last edited:
:gigMine would vote for fermented crumble. My hens follow me from coop to coop & practically climbing into the fermented feed bucket as I'm scraping it into the feed pans. Plus the only thing that's in the pail is fermented Purina All Flock Raiser. No added seeds or grains. Love it for starting chicks out as well. In the winter months being as I come from a cold & snowy climate I will add a very small amount of boss to the pail. My pail feeds 40 birds & when I add boss to it, it is only a cup per pail.

Boss?

since I switched to a trashcan with pipes for feeding ports... there is close to zero feed loss, no matter what I put in there.

I only have 1 brand choice up here... so that is the brand I buy. I usually buy all flock... and have oyster shell on the side, simply because ... I have a mixed flock, so it is easier.

Back
Top Bottom