Pellets or crumble, and why?

Which do you prefer to feed your chickens,pellets or crumble? Why?

• Pellets

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Crumble

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
I also grew up on a farm. Then, started my first flock when I was 12. Got back into chickens during my early granola years, starting with old culls from a friend's flock, then raised BSL, meat birds, and mini leghorns. I think I started this go a round in 2012. Time well spent educating myself, and I know so much more this time around than I did in the past.

24% for starter feed. 18% Pellets from a local mill for everybody else. Add Scratch as a "Training Feed" (Because they all love it). Even the Geese love scratch feed. This time of year they don't eat much because they have the fenced pasture to eat from. Come cold weather, I will switch to a Crumble feed, from the same local mill, only because they all prefer it to the pellets. I want them all to eat well and stay healthy. Egg production is great.
For baby Geese, I always feed wet (24%) until they are 6 weeks old. Makes less of a mess from them using so much water when eating, and eliminates the Choking Problem from dry food with the baby Geese. Whatever you have, I feed 24% until they start to lay. Then 18%. Medicated feed WILL KILL Geese, so don't use it! I do use it for the first 3 weeks with baby chicks. Just be careful you don't mix it up.

Back
Top Bottom