Pendulous crop, but otherwise seems healthy.

DerbyChook

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I noticed that my four year old bantam Rhode Island Red has an enlarged crop. It is noticeably big, even from a distance, and she has worn some feathers off on the bottom. I understand that it is stretched now and will probably never go back completely to normal. I massaged it and it feels soft, except maybe for a hard spot on the side. Maybe. I gave her oil and massaged while holding her upside down and nothing came up. I might have done it wrong since I have never done this before. There is no odor. She is eating and lively.

I put her in a dog crate and she had two healthy poos right away. She got some of my breakfast smoothie (peaches, strawberries, spinach and vegan protein powder with a bit of grated garlic for antibiotic properties) and she was keen on that. I put the crate in the coop so she could be near her friends and she right away started sticking her head through the bars to get at the feeder. She is a bit thin, but not alarmingly so. She was broody for quite awhile recently, so that might account for the thiness.

So is she ok, or should I be worried? Her crop has been large before but I didn't know enough to be concerned, so I guess it got better. And she is eating, passing bowel movements and seems lively. Should I keep her separate and continue to treat or let her get back to her life with her silkie friends?

i have a banty who also as a large crop with no other issues. She is not impacted, nor does she have sour crop. From what I understand it is called pendulous crop. To make her more comfortable, and to prevent any further crop issues I made her a crop bra out of vet wrap. I change it every week and check to make sure there is nothing new going on. I had to isolate her from the rest because they picked at the bra; so she is the only chicken with completely free run of the property. She loves teasing the others through the fence (we have movable pasture runs). It's great to see Henny Penny come flapping to greet us when we come home. At night she puts herself in a dog kennel and I close her in to keep her safe.

Oh how adorable! Mine is named Penny too. She is also a very sweet chicken, so calm that I tote her around the yard like a lap dog sometimes and she actually seems to like it.

So basically, she needs a bra? My friends and neighbors will think that is a hoot. I hope she can go back in with her buddies. There are only three littles in my flock and they are pretty devoted to each other. Do you feed her specially at all?

I saw the site for the chicken bra. I could make one, but it would be worth $20 to not have to! Also, never google "chicken bras" weird things come up.

I guess I am looking for something on how to do a bra with the vet tape short term. If it helps her, I might spring for the cloth version.

I just looked at the shape of the ones they sell. I used the big vet wrap that they sell for horses. Don't use red it orange, it encourages pecking. I make a cushioned patch in the middle by cutting a piece the same width as the vet wrap and squishing it together (the nice thing about vet wrap is no tape needed). Then I cut out the pieces to make the straps; it looks like a sideways H. I then cut one of the straps in half so we have a thick strap for around the body, and 2 thin straps for just under the wings and around the neck. The thick part I just squish together. The thin parts I kind of tie and squish. You can adjust the tension of the bra by pulling it up around her neck and squishing to tighten it. I will try to post pics-I'm going to go change her now

I tried to make one out of an old pair of tights. Chicken was extremely unhappy and it made her walk funny. Will get some proper vet tape tomorrow and try again.

OK, made her a little crop bra out of camo vet wrap. She really seems to hate it. I have had her separated and on soft foods for 24 hours, but if anything, her crop seems even more engorged. She looks like the Dolly Parton of chickens. I can't get her to throw any of it up, but there continues to be no odor. I don't see this ending well if I can't get the crop a little more back into shape.

I think my chickens were accidentally starved for a short period while I was on a vacation. The original pet sitter had an emergency and had to call in a back up. The back up didn't know the difference between bedding pellets and layer pellets, so apparently they got bedding pellets in the feeders for a period of time. I haven't had the heart to ask for how long. Anyway, this might account for why I have suddenly had so many health problems with my chickens. I had to cull one of my favorites earlier this week due to undiagnosable digestive issues. And now this :(

Assemble all the necessary components (child helpers optional)

Vetwrap H with cuts to make 2 sets of straps for the head. Note the padding in the middle.

The body straps are already on. I am adjusting the first set of neck straps which simply tie.

The second set of neck straps get tucked up under the body straps and pulled tight then tied to themselves to keep them in place.

The finished "outfit"

Note the cranky grooming afterwards. Once she has groomed herself the crop bra is barely visible except for a small patch on her chest.
She used to flop over and refuse to get up when I first put this on her. She has since accepted her fate (with some grumbling, of course)

Back
Top Bottom