Pendulous crop stool softener?

Htxchicks

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
Can I dose my chicken with non stimulant stool softener and yeast cream together? I’m really having issues with the chick and have only been able to improve but not clear her crop issue. How many days should I give her ducolax for ?

35E226C2-0630-4289-A631-56C3B28C2896.jpeg

She has always had brittle oddly curved feathers and was the only chick that got coccidossis symptoms this summer. Today she was leaking water again from her beak which happened also 2 weeks ago. Today I gave her ducolax. I have tried monistat before but I don’t believe she was getting the right amount because I was mixing into mash.

Attachments

• 05B1E15D-A12A-46A3-AE2B-80A86A78709F.jpeg
    05B1E15D-A12A-46A3-AE2B-80A86A78709F.jpeg
    643.4 KB · Views: 1
She has always had brittle oddly curved feathers and was the only chick that got coccidossis symptoms this summer. Today she was leaking water again from her beak which happened also 2 weeks ago. Today I gave her ducolax. I have tried monistat before but I don’t believe she was getting the right amount because I was mixing into mash.

Can I dose my chicken with non stimulant stool softener and yeast cream together? I’m really having issues with the chick and have only been able to improve but not clear her crop issue. How many days should I give her ducolax for ?
Yes, you can treat with both at the same time.

How does the crop feel?

I have given the stool softener for 3 days, but that was in an older hen. I would try the coconut oil (daily) along with the cream (2X a day for 7 days) and 1 stool softener.
Direct dose her with the cream, this way you will know she's getting the medication.

IF the crop is not getting better, then give her another stool softener.

You mention pendulous in your title - she's quite young to have a pendulous crop, but she may benefit from a crop bra to help support her crop at night when roosting.

She may have some developmental or genetic issues if she's struggling with feather condition, growth, etc. You can also give her some poultry vitamins to see if that makes a difference. Poultry Cell would be a good choice - direct dose her twice a week at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

Not sure if you read this article or not, but it's what I use as a guideline to treat my birds - read the comments as well - lots of info there too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Yes, you can treat with both at the same time.

How does the crop feel?

I have given the stool softener for 3 days, but that was in an older hen. I would try the coconut oil (daily) along with the cream (2X a day for 7 days) and 1 stool softener.
Direct dose her with the cream, this way you will know she's getting the medication.

IF the crop is not getting better, then give her another stool softener.

You mention pendulous in your title - she's quite young to have a pendulous crop, but she may benefit from a crop bra to help support her crop at night when roosting.

She may have some developmental or genetic issues if she's struggling with feather condition, growth, etc. You can also give her some poultry vitamins to see if that makes a difference. Poultry Cell would be a good choice - direct dose her twice a week at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.

Not sure if you read this article or not, but it's what I use as a guideline to treat my birds - read the comments as well - lots of info there too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you. I have read that article before. Her crop at times is completely blown up like water balloon. It’s mostly very large and mushy. If I support it with my hand and raise it up it begins to empty. She does it herself as well by laying down a certain way and manipulating her neck and wings. Her droppings are firm large and healthy looking. I was able to get her crop almost empty today with the stool softener and after 2 days of directly force feeding the yeast cream (I put it on the side of her beak and underside over and over to make her lick it if anyone knows a better way let me know). When her crop was no longer like a huge soggy water balloon I could feel a mass of what felt like straw or grass. She almost seems to have PICA I see her eat wood chips, pine needles things normal chickens leave alone. She has always been like that. I had her wear a child’s sized face mask today bootlegged into a crop bra however only for a few hours while isolated. Once she cleared up her crop and got some rest, ate her pellet soup she was ready to get back outside she started frantically try to jump out and escape and some how got a bit tangled so I took it off and let her go. She would probably tolerate it at night.

for 2 months I have given her doses of vitamins 2-3x a week and fed her a little food with plain Greek yogurt and water.

She is not even near 3 pounds at 19 weeks. She is absolutely tiny I’m honestly not sure how she is even alive. After repeated cocci bouts as a chick. I can’t even count how many times I’ve seen her spew liquid. I thought for sure when I had an outbreak of fowl pox it would be BAD BAD news for her but she had a mild case like the rest of the flock.

For the last month or so I really figured she was a failure to thrive genetic issue and kind of gave up. However her will to live is remarkable and I have decided to really try again because she has actually put on some weight and there’s some new feathers growing.

I gave her safeguard for two days but didn’t today because I was scared it would be over medicating the tiny thing.

I’m wondering if acidified copper might be something to try? I’ve read that can be helpful.

I was able to get her crop almost empty today with the stool softener and after 2 days of directly force feeding the yeast cream (I put it on the side of her beak and underside over and over to make her lick it if anyone knows a better way let me know). When her crop was no longer like a huge soggy water balloon I could feel a mass of what felt like straw or grass. She almost seems to have PICA I see her eat wood chips, pine needles things normal chickens leave alone. She has always been like that.

I gave her safeguard for two days but didn’t today because I was scared it would be over medicating the tiny thing.

I’m wondering if acidified copper might be something to try? I’ve read that can be helpful.
I usually syringe the cream into them, but do it however you need to.
Give the cream for the full 7 days twice a day even if you see improvement.

Do you provide grit free choice or just rely on them picking up what they need while free roaming? I have free roaming birds, but do supply purchased grit as well.

If the crop is emptying better with you lifting it and with a bra, then consider making her one that she can at least wear at night, if not full time.
Somehow I miss Carol's (@azygous ) great threads until way after the fact. I ran across this one the other day. Good stuff! I now have it bookmarked so I can find it again https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

The Safeguard shouldn't be a problem along with the yeast medication. If you gave for 2 days in a row, follow up with another dose in 10 days to complete treatment for roundworms.

Some folks do use Acidified Copper Sulfate, it's something you can try, but I would completely finish the yeast cream treatment before using the ACS.

If she has a lot of fibrous material left in there even after you finish treatment, then a flush can be tried. If that doesn't work, then crop surgery would be your last resort to see if you can get it corrected.

Here's help with giving oral medication.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I usually syringe the cream into them, but do it however you need to.
Give the cream for the full 7 days twice a day even if you see improvement.

Do you provide grit free choice or just rely on them picking up what they need while free roaming? I have free roaming birds, but do supply purchased grit as well.

If the crop is emptying better with you lifting it and with a bra, then consider making her one that she can at least wear at night, if not full time.
Somehow I miss Carol's (@azygous ) great threads until way after the fact. I ran across this one the other day. Good stuff! I now have it bookmarked so I can find it again https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/making-a-crop-bra-for-a-hen-with-pendulous-crop.1464848/

The Safeguard shouldn't be a problem along with the yeast medication. If you gave for 2 days in a row, follow up with another dose in 10 days to complete treatment for roundworms.

Some folks do use Acidified Copper Sulfate, it's something you can try, but I would completely finish the yeast cream treatment before using the ACS.

If she has a lot of fibrous material left in there even after you finish treatment, then a flush can be tried. If that doesn't work, then crop surgery would be your last resort to see if you can get it corrected.

Here's help with giving oral medication.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you for that link and all the advice

Today I’m going to work on turning the child sized mask into a better fitting crop bra.

I couldn’t find her this morning out in the yard was worried but she popped up and was NOT wanting to let me pick her up! She seems to feel better than yesterday much more fight in her. The crop size is still enlarged but not mushy and not super hard.

Omg she is absolutely FULL of worms I feel so so so so bad.

I just checked her droppings three giant threads of worms

I have check her droppings so many times never saw them before. I feel like such a bad chicken mom. I guess I made the right choice in throwing the kitchen sink of crop treatments at her.

Omg she is absolutely FULL of worms I feel so so so so bad.

I just checked her droppings three giant threads of worms

I have check her droppings so many times never saw them before. I feel like such a bad chicken mom. I guess I made the right choice in throwing the kitchen sink of crop treatments at her.
Can you tell what kind they are?
Photos?

Back
Top Bottom