Penedesenca info please

Better hurry: I dug around a bit and found that if you go to eggbid.com there are about four auctions for Penedesenca eggs, and one for a pair of black poults, a male and female, ~2 months old, according to the seller. There were three colors available that I saw: Black, Wheaton, and Partridge. According to the comments they've recieved (200+ for all) they're quite reputable.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I used to raise crele Penedesencas. The roos were absolutely beautiful. I got rid of them because they were so flighty. They went ballastic at the slightest thing. They also had very little personality and did not lay that dark of an egg. My understanding is that the blacks are the calmest and the creles are the most flighty.

Do not expect to get the egg color you see on Feathersite. They are the exception. However, some do lay very dark eggs. It depends upon the breeder and the bloodline.

Laurie Adams of Colorsplash Poultry was one of the first, if not THE first, to import Penedesencas. She has great birds.

One of my crele roos:
11-1-04Roo.jpg

A crele hen:
9-27-04Hen.jpg

Oooooooooooh Carla,

Your rooster is so gorgeous!! I love the crele color pattern! I have been wanting to get some birds in that color for a while so I was really happy to be able to buy a trio of crele Penedesencas from Barry Koffler of Feathersite. I cant wait for them to arrive next week.

I also got some black Penedesencas chicks last week from Marina. They are nearly feathered in and look like 1 cockerel and 5 pullets.
big_smile.png

chel

I found out what the deal was with the breeder. I used my student email account to contact him but the server blocked his email. It was my fault! Anyway I will recieve my 12+ wheaten penedesenca eggs on wednesday! I can't wait.

There flightyness scares me because all the hens I have are really laid back. I will try to handle them all the time to tame them. I hope it will work out.

Carla, I hope that mine are as good looking as yours were.
cool.png
I'm expecting flighty, sort of crazy like my leghorns. LOL

chel

Hey Eggchel and any others who own crele penedesencas. I just got mine and I want to know where others are. I am in Greer, SC. I tried to "pm" you but the box was full.

I love my flighty birds. I loved my leghorns and these guys seem like perfect matches for them.

I have a small breeder group of creles now; 1 roo and four hens. I just replaced my rooster and I have and incubator full of eggs fertilized by the last one. These guys are a lot better than I thought they would be. I had wheatens and sold them before they were full grown...they were absolutely bonkers. I owned two partridge pairs that were gogeous and laid really beautiful dark eggs and weren't too flighty. At the time I had more creles so I found a home for the others and focused on them. my creles are flighty like my leghorns and don't like to be handled but they are excellent when free ranging as they aren't as nervous. They look like road runners running about in the yard.

Their eggs are a beautiful color, a dark "wet terracotta" color with lots of speckles. My birds come from Barry Koffler; the feathersite guy but my eggs have never been dark like the pics online. Penedesencas are dark egg layers but they are on a completely different scale than marans, barnevelders and welsummers. The others lay chocolate brown eggs that are really dark while the pens lay a dark red egg. In catalan they call the eggs "red" and that is the best way to describe them. They will not be as dark as marans but they are a unique color like a damp clay flower pot. If anyone has worked with red earthenware clay there eggs tend to be a shade of that clay in various stages of drying. These birds tend not to be consistent in their color either as some days are darker than others and it varies by season too. I have put a bit of info on my BYC page and if anyone has anything else to add it would be great.

I have two black chicks right now, about 5 weeks old. I was hoping for a boy and a girl but to me they both look like boys, though one looks slightly less red. We have been handling them but they are very flighty.

Back
Top Bottom