Penedesenca info please

I had both Black and Crele and let me say if I ever got them again I would raise them much differently.

My black pair was insane and she laid four eggs in about a week and when I moved her to a breed pen she just stopped cold turkey and never laid another egg for two years. For a while they were the only two birds in the pen so I thought she might be uncomfortable. I added some extra Buttercup girls in there so I could tell their eggs apart and never saw another brown egg.

The crele hens layed much better but they were just as flighty. It was impossible to get a decent pic from any of them because they never stopped pacing the side of the pen farthest from where I was. And the rooster always rushed me and spurred the sole of my shoe every time I left the pen.

In the birds' defense though I will say this. As chicks and started birds they were coddled. As in they stayed completely apart from any of the other birds for fear they would catch something. Silly I know but when you've got a thousand dollars that could get sick you act silly. And when I lost the only black roo for no apparent reason I was nearly hysterical. They were never handled and were never moved until their breed pens were completed when they were about 6 1/2 months of age. During that time they lived in a tractor/coop by themselves. Their breed pens were also built a fair distance from my other breeders and so they were socially retarded. When they were finally put into their breed pens, the males fought incessantly through the wire until I put tin along the bottom two - three feet of the wire. So it probably isn't really the breed it was they way they grew up. Their enviroment and experiences molded the way they behaved. Imagine raising leghorns like that... ep

Basically I had them when they were the new 'it' bird and when day-old chicks were going for $100 bucks and I already had a waiting list when the birds were three months old, I wasn't taking any chances.

Their chicks were raised with everyone else though and they were much calmer. They weren't cuddly like Cochins or Faverolles, but they weren't crazy like their parents. But they did all stalk around together. They were pretty cute. Looked like a group of long-legged raptors. And boy were they fast.

Here is the only decent pic I managed to get of my roo in thirty minutes.

CrelePendesenca.jpg

There were four hens flapping hysterically in the corner, opposite of him.

I have heard little about the breed.i think they are beautiful birds, but are they worth it? Are the Roosters aggressive? I love the Crele color, wish it was in more breeds... I have seen some breeders of them, none had Crele though..

I just started some eggsfrom Gabbard Farms. They are beautiful eggs- but they were shipped. I don't know if I will get any to hatch since they all look like they're full of bubbles and a few started oozing.
hit.gif

I agree with some of the folks in here that I had some Penes and I hated them! Beautiful their eggs were but they would just literally kill themselves at the sightest move of your finger. I got rid of most of them FAST and butchered some of them which the meat sucks in weight and texture. Not much for meat birds.

HappyMtn, if your eggs got full of bubbles and oozing, chances are nil for chicks. It is not Julie's fault since she packs her eggs well, its the post office doing. Toss those eggs out and try again. I know its going to be expensive but I am sure she can work with you on something like maybe shipping some chicks or started birds?

I have some in my bator due to hatch this weekend...so dark they don't candle well to know how they are doing..but I will have some them for sale as soon as they hatch..wheaten and Partridge.Bought the eggs so I don't have the parent stock but they are purebred.
I doubt very much they are any more flighty than my Blue Andalusian's if so they are suicidal
lau.gif

HappyMtn, if your eggs got full of bubbles and oozing, chances are nil for chicks. It is not Julie's fault since she packs her eggs well, its the post office doing. Toss those eggs out and try again. I know its going to be expensive but I am sure she can work with you on something like maybe shipping some chicks or started birds?

Oh I know that. It seems I can't get eggs shipped from anywhere. No matter how well they are packed. I drove down to see bargain in GA last week- maybe at least the wellie & sussex eggs will hatch for me! I have to say though- I did get some other eggs from jmhappycowboy in MS. They were the best packed ever, and looks like only 2 out of 12 are scrambled.

As for the penes- I have heard how flighty they are- but my sussex are a little goofy too. I think it wil be funny watching them bounce off eachother when I go into the coop.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom