Penedesenca?

Mr D

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2015
SETX
C935EF29-5A88-4AAC-9F68-FD367F552C27.jpeg
B5CE2B51-47EB-4096-A82D-C4679B03223E.jpeg
I was told that this is a Penedesenca, but I haven’t seen any that look like her. I was thinking that she could be a Silver Partridg Penedesenca. What do you all think?

Last edited:
She's definitely not a Penedesenca. Any of the Light Mediterranean breeds would have a massive comb by that age. My first thought was a Silver Leghorn, but I don't think that's right at all. Maybe an American Game hen?

There's no such thing as a silver partridge Penedesenca.
The varieties are Black, Partridge, Wheaten and Crele.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Penes/BRKPenes.html
Did someone tell you they sold you a Penedesenca?

While I agree that most Mediterranean breeds develop large combs and wattles earlier than other classes. I've had many pullets that age whose combs and wattles were still quite small.
How old are the birds?

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a silver partridge Penedesenca.
The varieties are Black, Partridge, Wheaten and Crele.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Penes/BRKPenes.html
Did someone tell you they sold you a Penedesenca?

While I agree that most Mediterranean breeds develop large combs and wattles earlier than other classes. I've had many pullets that age whose combs and wattles were still quite small.
How old are the birds?

My buddy got some from Tractor Supply. They were supposed to be Penedesencas. I’m not sure their age, but but not laying yet, so I approximate around three or four months.

I don’t know of any hatcheries that sell Penedesencas.
welp hatchery has Crele Pendesencas But I am not impressed with the eggs they just started laying. Good sized but not dark enough to write home about. Some one else can judge if they look like Pendesencas or not I have never seen any other than these 3.

As far as t he Silver Duckwing Pullet with yellow legs that the OP showed. I didn't see the age posted but if its still young it could still be a Leghorn, I have them and their combs did not get very large until just before they started laying. I will go dig up old picture of them before their combs came in. Then we can do some comparisons.

Attachments

• IMG_3373.JPG
    IMG_3373.JPG
    427.5 KB · Views: 10
IMG_1701.JPG

This is the best pictures I can find of my Silver Leghorns The males had their large combs early but the females were a bit slow in getting them. I also had White Leghorns (production types) the same age and at that time they had large combs and may even have been laying already. I may have a better picture to compare with. If I do I will post it. I take way too many pictures.

Back
Top Bottom