Penedesencas

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted them for the egg color, too. I ordered them before I really looked into what they were. I think they're really pretty. Post pictures, if you have them..

From what me and my friend raised from the hatching eggs from J Poole, I woul dnot have them....too nervous and flighty and very poor layers1

If DARK colored eggs is your wish, I say go for it....be mindful of their temperment and skittish behaviors, those are not your oridinary egg layers. It takes a dedicated breeder to understand them and their quirks and tolerate them. They are excellent free rangers and sometimes they dont come back home to roost at all, they would roost in trees instead LOL!

On Penedesenca disposition: I can only speak for my own flock. They are very sweet, including Esteve, the rooster. He has the manners of a Southern gentleman with his hens and with the people he knows. Typical of the breed, they are not really friendly, but they aren't "flighty" or "wild," rather, they are wary. That can be a good thing, especially when free-ranging! When I pick them up, they are very calm and relaxed, even though they weren't handled as chicks. They get along fine with the barn cat and the spaniels. The hens are excellent layers of beautiful deep red-brown eggs.

Last edited:
I hatched 5 hens and 3 roos, they were all together, and are 4 months old now. They have always been flighty, even though they lived inside the house in a playpen with a super sweet and friendly silkie surrogate mommy. My kids handled them a lot, but they are still flighty compared to the others. They are out at the farm now, but we just brought one hen home and put her in with our mixed lot in a large run and a big house. Separated from the others, and around other hens who know their names and come "flocking" (ha ha) to us whenever we walk by, she is warming up and settling down. I wonder if they just tend to feed on each other's nervousness? We have had some predator issues out at the farm, but maybe because they are so skittish, they will do better? They fly well, and love to jump up and climb on stuff. I can't wait to see the eggs. Have marans and love the dark brown!

That's funny... my Penedesenca hens had a surrogate Silkie mom, too! We also have Black Copper Marans... totally different personalities from the Pene's.

i am really needing Black and Crele hatching eggs
plus white empordanesa.
Help!!!!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom