Penedesencas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jashdon, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could get some Penedesenca hatching eggs or even some chicks.

2. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I see them on eggbid.com frequently.

4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    When I was in Guatemala last month there where wheaton catalana's everywhere - they were gorgeous!! They have a very pretty little cluck too. I really want some now.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I don't even think I know how to pronounce it. . . .[​IMG]

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    There is a mixed lot of them on Eggbid now.

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just ordered some wheaten and partridge penedesenca eggs. I love the dark brown eggs, and don't want to spend all that money for the marans right now. LOL!

Does anyone have any penedesencas? Just wondering about the temperament.

Thanks.

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I had 2 to hatch from a batch from eggbid. The rooster was beautiful but so mean and very flighty. The hen is a loner her buddy is our horse. She stays around the horse and will jump on the horses back and ride. Her eggs were much darker and stayed dark compared to my French Cuckoo Marans.

I put her and the rooster in a pen so I could get some eggs to hatch and she quit laying. She's not even a year old yet. She just seemed so depressed. A fox ripped the wood off of the door to the pen and got the rooster but not her.

I let her free range. She's still not laying but seems much happier.

I would like to get more but the roosters will go in the freezer. The roosters are large bird so should have quit a bit of meat on it.

jackie
    jackie

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    That's nice to know about the roosters...I already have one to many mean ones.

Did you try to spend time and hold them when they were little so they would get used to you? Just wondering if that would help?

And, that's too cute about the horse. I bet that is a sight to see!!

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I have a pair of blacks and a wheaton rooster, the black roo is massive but the a total whimp......
    The wheaton is a lot leggier but I think he will fill out more when he gets older, he is a whimp right now but he does have the disposition to be a total prick if he gets up his curage.

The hen is more of a loner and quite nervous, hasn't started laying yet(any day now, she is like 7 months old).
    Next year I will cross the hen with the wheaton rooster, since she lacks the branching comb and white earlobes, the wheaton has both, the black roo has the branching comb but no white earlobes(the breeder my friend got the hatching eggs from told her the blacks need a lot of work).

I just want the dark eggs so I don't care for purity in colour so much, and if I do later on, I just try to breed the cross towards the black red variety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by