Penicillin G usage/dose for lactating dog_resolved_ pup pics!

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
Hey there, I have yet again another problem here at home. Seems like I'm always asking for help here.
It is almost 1 in the morning and I cannot get her to the vet otherwise I'd take her in a second. I need help figuring out what I should do.
My Great Pyrenees female had a litter of 7 puppies last week. Because of her thick coat we did not know she was pregnant. (because she wasn't supposed to be bred)
She had 3 puppies outside in a muddy "nest" she dug. I wasn't at home at the time and my mom bathed her and the 3 muddy puppies.
She has been fine all week, eating drinking, taking care of the pups just fine.
Around 6ish this evening she was acting a little off, but I didn't take big notice.
Now at 12:30 she was acting lethargic and didn't want to eat. But did drink 2cups of water. She normally gobbles her food up.
She doesn't want to leave the whelping area with her puppies and her gums are pale. Her eyes are bright and clean and her nose is normal feeling. The inside of her ears aren't pale nor anywhere else on her body. Nothing feels swollen or out of place when I felt around her organs.
I am wondering if she got an infection from having some of the pups outside and it is just now hitting her.
Is it ok to give a lactating momma a dose of Penicillin G ?
if so how much should I give her?
I want to do what I can for her tonight because I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow for sure.
I'm really afraid of it getting worse and maybe losing her and the pups.

If you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
She's a lightweight for a Pyrenees maybe 60-70lbs?

I read on a website that you shouldn't give penicillin to lactating moms, but that's just a website...
I myself am hesitant because the bottle says for cattle to not drink the milk from cows that were given penicillin.

I went and checked on her and she has had some color return to her gums but she's still acting weird/lethargic.

Did you take her temperature?? That will tell you a lot, normal dog temperature is 100.5 - 102.5. Any higher than that and she's got a fever, which indicates an infection. Pyometria is the first infection that comes to mind with a dog that has just given birth. It is a very serious infection that is in the dog's uterus. You should check her labial and surrounding hair for discharge. She should have none at this point. If you see anything slimy, brown, green or yellowish in color that is a bad sign. On top of the discharge you would also notice a distict foul odor.

This could also just be a case of upset stomach, maybe she ate something she shouldn't have, bunch of grass, mushrooms in your yard or something? On a more serious gastro issue could be bloat, which would cause fast onset of symptoms. Lethargy, refusing food, vomiting, you may or may not notice a distended abdomen (with the fluffy coat it might not be noticable till it is very pronounced.) Is she panting? Vomiting white or green foam, or fluid?

I checked her and she has no discharge nor any signs of it; not any foul smell either.
She hasn't been throwing up, I felt her body earlier and there are no signs of bloat. She isn't panting either.
She may have eaten grass or bug or something because she looked unwell right after we had brought her in from being outside.
I don't see why she would eat grass because she is getting a mix if taste of the wild and 4health, but if she had an upset stomach for some reason she may have eaten some. She's never really been a grass eater though.

She got up and walked up to me waggin her tail (she wouldn't do that before) and she has gained more color in her gums.

ETA: I dont have anything to take her temperature with, but she doesn't feel abnormally warm or anything.

Last edited:
Infections don't cause pale gums.
That's a sign of worms.

She could also be suffering from a calcium deficiency since she didn't get any prenatal treatment

She should be fed a HIGH calcium diet, and twice the amount of food she normally gets

Antibiotics shouldn't be given unless you're SURE they are needed

Last edited:
Personally, I would get her to the vet ASAP. Hopefully either you have done this by now, or she is feeling noticeably better?

My first thoughts would be, perhaps, a retained puppy or placenta. In which case it needs to be removed ASAP. A variety of things can cause pale gums, but all of them are bad. She might be eclamptic or pre-eclamptic, but that is easily solved with a calcium supplement. Any time a b!tch becomes off after a litter of pups, it is cause for alarm.

Quote:
Sorry but you are wrong, infections often cause pale mucus mebranes due to fever and low blood pressure. Its why when you take your dog to the Vet its one of the first things they will look at. If they find the gums are a muddy or pale color they then do the blood-fill test. Press on the gums to see how fast the blood fills the area of pressure. How fast it fills will tell how badly the dog is dehydrated and give an idea of blood pressure.

ETA pale gums can be caused by a lot of things: anemia, infection, low blood pressure (bleed some where), dogs that present with bloat will have pale gums.

Last edited:
just in case there is another pup inthere, give her something with high calcium ( i give tums to my dogs right before and after they whelp,it helps contractions!)

if you think she has an infection, get her to the vet asap, they have other antibiotics that may help better than penn!
hope she feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom