Penicillin G usage/dose for lactating dog_resolved_ pup pics!

Get her to the vet NOW. This is nothing to mess with...anemia and pyo are serious. If I were a betting woman I'd bet the vet would start her on Batril (sorry sp) ASAP.

Check her teats and make sure none of them are hard or hot to the touch or appear red/discolored, mastitis comes on quickly and it very painful and debilitating. So many things are resistant to penicillin these days I wouldn't waste my time with it but unless you are going to bottle raise the pups you need to give her a Class A antibiotic that is safe for nursing/lactating grump. BAYTRIL is not Class A and should not be used while the pups are nursing. Amoxi is safe, Cephalexin is safe, Clavamox & Clindamycin are safe too.

She may need to stop the pups from nursing to save the mom though. Baytril will work in crisis faster than amoxi, or any other. I'd be concerned about not losing the mom.

Last edited:
barnie.gif

Wow, sorry guys. I work night shifts mixed with day shifts and my days have been in and out, haven't been able to get online.
So my Pyr, Nana Is doing just fine. She was totally fine the coming morning, and acting normal and happy and her gums/health was fine.
I took her to the vet anyways and they said there was nothing wrong with her or the pups but that I should keep an eye out for her in case whatever it was happens again. They confirmed there was nothing left inside her that shouldn't be.
I did a lot of praying that night. I've lost a dog that had pale gums before, who later died at the vet after a 4 day battle; and I was terrified for Nana and her babies.
All I can figure, is
1. She just was sick from something she ate ?
2. Or I and her were blessed, and she is totally fine now.

I don't know what caused it or what it was, nor did the vet.

Now for some additional info on her, once she had the litter I'd had her on calcium supplements and vitamins because I know of the deficiency they can get.
She gets fed several times a day maybe...8 cups a day maybe more? and has a bucket of water because she eats and drinks like crazy. She's had a good diet of 4health dog food with Taste of the Wild mixed in before that she had Authority. She's been de-wormed a few times lately (something we do in the spring/summer for all the dogs)
2 days after the pups were born, I shaved her down so that she'd be clean and that the pups could find their food
wink.png

I've been around dogs my whole life and have helped with, and been for around 14 different dog litters, (not all my dogs, I help people too). And when she was done having pups I checked her to see if she was empty and she was. I've dealt with a lot of problems before and this case was something I haven't seen before.

I'm keeping a close eye on her and I'm going to take them for another check up in maybe a week or two.

Thank you for every one's replies and well wishes. I am so thankful that she is doing well. Sorry for keeping y'all waiting and worrying.

So, I think you guys deserve to see a picture.

This was a accident litter because we didn't think my moms Basset could reach my Pyrenees.....but some how they made it work. They are really cute though, I hope we'll find good homes for them.

28me00.jpg

They are cute and obviously your animals are well cared for
smile.png
I bet you won't make the mistake of putting intact and in season dogs together again. They will mate, doesn't matter what size difference. My grandmother made the same mistake letting her 11 pound rat terrier female in full blown heat out to pee one day where one of her intact male Karelian bear dogs was tied out. The male was about 70 pounds. She found them tied, she was pretty freaked out. Terrier had two giant puppies that could have killed her. Both of them died.

I wish you the best with your litter. I am really looking forward to seeing what they look like as they get older. What a mix!!

awww! glad to hear theyre ok, theyre adorable! Congrats! and basset/pyranees mix, short legs and droopy ears and huge fluffy coat? I can just picture it now... lol
lol.png

She looks so much like my Komondor does when he is sheared, except she looks very feminine. You need to keep us updated with pictures as the puppies grow, I am betting that they are going to be really cute, or really funny.

I am so happy she is fine, when Jamie mentioned bloat, I half way freaked out. I know enough to watch for it, because of the Koms. I also lost the best dog we ever had to bloat. She was a very small Chow mix. I had been told that she was mixed with Saint Bernard, I know she didn't have any SB in her. But when she bloated that night we couldn't get her to the vet fast enough, by the time we got her to the closest vet she was already brain dead. It still scares me to know that it could happen to Puppy. I only have the one big dog now, and he is 11.

I must say I have a warm spot in my heart for LSG Dogs.

Back
Top Bottom