Pennchlor 64 antibiotic for respiratory infection

dancechick915

Songster
Sep 24, 2015
Southern California
I just stopped at my local feed store and I picked up pennchlor 64 (Chlortetracycline HCL) for one of my hens to mix in with the water. My question is should I just treat her (I only have two hens) and separate them during the treatment or should I treat them both? She is not laying yet but my other hen just started laying three days ago. Does this antibiotic make it unsafe to eat the eggs forever or is there a withdrawal period? I haven't found much info about this particular antibiotic and hope someone can give me some more info on it. Thanks!

I don't know anything about the specific antibiotic, so i would check on their internet site for further details - the general rule of thumb is do not eat any eggs for 10 days after administering the antibiotic.

I would imagine that if one hen is showing symptoms of a respiratory problem, then the chances are they both have it.

Do bear in mind that a respiratory problem can be viral, bacterial, fungal or an allergy. Antibiotics will only work if the problem is bacterial (but it will help fight off secondary infections if the problem is caused by the others).

For what its worth, i only give antibiotics as a last resort, i.e. if the problem is acute / serious. Normally, i just give vitamin supplements / electrolytes in their water (boost their immune system and helps them fight off whatever "nasty" they have) and let them deal with it themselves. As long as they are feeding and acting normally, i would think that they will be ok.

Good luck

CT

My sick hen has been having some issues for about a month now. It started out as sour crop and a bacterial infection and I did not treat her with anything beyond natural measures. She seemed to get better. My other hen would sneeze off and on but is otherwise happy and healthy. She's over whatever she had but my sick hen seemed to have caught it but way worse. She's sneezing, her feathers look dull, and her left eye has foamy bubbles coming out of it. She's still eating and drinking and acting completely normal but she's just been sick for so long. I think I've decided I'm going to separate them while giving her the antibiotic in the water (so that the other hen doesn't drink the Chlortetracycline HCL and her eggs won't be affected).

Back
Top Bottom