Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Holy wow! Chicks whipping around! There is at least one splash,one blue and a heap of blacks. OkaY now the interesting part. These eggs came from bum hens, Australorp, as well as a few others. Now here is the part idk about. I know you guys were talking about it earlier. A few of these are from the traditional dark brown marans egg. Than there are two mint green eggs and a pair of olive eggs. What the heck is going to come out of these? Lol

Puppies! I vote for puppies!

Puppies! I vote for puppies!
yuckyuck.gif

How are you with giving injections? Are you sure she is getting the full dose of meds. Tetracycline is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. You need to change the meds you are giving. This is just my opinion. I have never seen or smelled a bird with Coryza or Mycoplasma. I hear it smells like rotten eggs, really bad. This sweet smell you are describing almost like soda can/recycle bin in the hot summer smell???? It sound like strep throat. You chicken is choking on food and drink, nasal discharge, with lose gooey eyes??? Oxytetracycline treats most types of strep. Strep is always in the birdie, during times of stress or other disease/conditions it an come out. It seems like all chicken respiratory diseases present the same way. Its a matter of figuring out which on it is, and giving proper treatment.

The reason I asked about tractor supply is: you can get oxytetracycline there, its called liquimyacin. You can give the pullet .5 cc per 5 lbs of body weight. So if you have a 10 lb bird it would get 1cc. You don't have to inject it, you can give it as a drench. You will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle. Take the needle off, and you can use the syringe to give it to her orally. The meds stay in there system for 3 days, so on the end of the 3rd day give her another dose. She should be cured, if that is what it is. Her guts are going to be a wreck, she will need yogurt, save-a-chick and scrambled egg. In a pinch you can use pedia-lyte. When she starts eating "whole" foods again. Start her on scratch, it will help her poop not be so runny and gross.

Good Luck!!! If this is not her problem, or her smell changes, I have more treatment ideas.

Birds with Mycoplasma or Coryza would be culled at my house. If you are planning on not selling any birds, or eggs, you can run a closed flock. They will get sick forever. Periods of stress, secondary infections, or anything really can cause it to flare up. If she does pass, you can get a necropsy done, so you know if you other chickens are safe.

Quote:
Good Morning! Oh this is great information Thank you sooo much!! I will take it with me when I go to the Vet today. I would not want to give injections, I suppose I could if I really had to, I would prolly leave that up to my BF.

After having her in the house over night, she is looking a little better, she is pruning and eating. Her eyes are still watery (no bubbles) and she still smells, kind of like how you are describing with the strep. I let her out to walk around the kitchen and she took a large #2(Solid) then went two other times but they where smaller (still solid). I think she just wanted to watch me clean it up, as the 3rd time she kind of charged over to see what I was doing! I am almost starting to think she is faking it so she can be in the house! She seemed so chilled and relaxed following me around in the kitchen. I may have to pick up one of those diaper thingies so she can be in the house! Saturday I am going to hit up the feed store and stock up on Meds and Vitamins since I now have so much information and want to be better prepared if this ever happens again!

Here are a few pics from this morning:

And Perhaps I am a worried Mamma with my girl. But to me looking at her, She looks thin, raggedy, her breath smells horrible, runny nose, droopy watery eyes Vs Bubbles...

OMG... So I was told Orencia is a Buff Orpington! NOT according to the pictures on McMurray Hatchery! HAHA She is a Rhode Island Red!!! HAHA

Last edited:
Hi all! Hope you guys are all doing well. Rose~Hope your chicken feels better

Congratulations on all the new babies.

Just one question please. Does anyone have hatching eggs I could buy? if you want you can inbox me, either ship or pick up. Thank You! xoxo!

You guys are too funny this morning!
Heather, I have 2 questions. I think I know, but clarification would be appreciated.
#1, the antibiotics are for any kind of respiratory infection, right?
#2, if you give .5c/5lbs, do you give .1c/lb? If I did, would it be bad?

On another note, I got a call early this morning. A debit card I received last Monday, and only used once, had to be canceled. Someone was using it for something in Hong Kong, and 2 things in CA.
barnie.gif
Seriously? How did that happen? The one time I used it, no one was around. The cashier doesn't touch the cards anymore. What the heck?

Hi all! Hope you guys are all doing well. Rose~Hope your chicken feels better

Congratulations on all the new babies.

Just one question please. Does anyone have hatching eggs I could buy? if you want you can inbox me, either ship or pick up. Thank You! xoxo!
i have some, if you just pay shipping you can have some, they're mixed tho, only pure you might get, if laying, are the coronation sussexs. the others laying are all mixed together, blue wheaten marans, lemon cuckoo orp and brahmas
smile.png

Okay so everyone drank their cup of smart azz this morning I see lol. I have 8 babies running around, one open and waiting for the right moment, and 6 more waiting to decide to pip. Found a few duds.

i have some, if you just pay shipping you can have some, they're mixed tho, only pure you might get, if laying, are the coronation sussexs. the others laying are all mixed together, blue wheaten marans, lemon cuckoo orp and brahmas
smile.png
Thank You!! I appreciate it!! I will get back to you!

Quick other question...at this farm show, will they sell egg or babies?? The kids are asking me for babies/eggs. And when is everyone going??

Yes, she is a production RIR. The reason she has that nasty breath/smell is because of her mouth being open, its like chicken morning breath!!!!
Good Morning! Oh this is great information Thank you sooo much!! I will take it with me when I go to the Vet today. I would not want to give injections, I suppose I could if I really had to, I would prolly leave that up to my BF.

After having her in the house over night, she is looking a little better, she is pruning and eating. Her eyes are still watery (no bubbles) and she still smells, kind of like how you are describing with the strep. I let her out to walk around the kitchen and she took a large #2(Solid) then went two other times but they where smaller (still solid). I think she just wanted to watch me clean it up, as the 3rd time she kind of charged over to see what I was doing! I am almost starting to think she is faking it so she can be in the house! She seemed so chilled and relaxed following me around in the kitchen. I may have to pick up one of those diaper thingies so she can be in the house! Saturday I am going to hit up the feed store and stock up on Meds and Vitamins since I now have so much information and want to be better prepared if this ever happens again!

Here are a few pics from this morning:

And Perhaps I am a worried Mamma with my girl. But to me looking at her, She looks thin, raggedy, her breath smells horrible, runny nose, droopy watery eyes Vs Bubbles...

OMG... So I was told Orencia is a Buff Orpington! NOT according to the pictures on McMurray Hatchery! HAHA She is a Rhode Island Red!!! HAHA

Back
Top Bottom