Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Holy wow! Chicks whipping around! There is at least one splash,one blue and a heap of blacks. OkaY now the interesting part. These eggs came from bum hens, Australorp, as well as a few others. Now here is the part idk about. I know you guys were talking about it earlier. A few of these are from the traditional dark brown marans egg. Than there are two mint green eggs and a pair of olive eggs. What the heck is going to come out of these? Lol

Holy wow! Chicks whipping around! There is at least one splash,one blue and a heap of blacks. OkaY now the interesting part. These eggs came from bum hens, Australorp, as well as a few others. Now here is the part idk about. I know you guys were talking about it earlier. A few of these are from the traditional dark brown marans egg. Than there are two mint green eggs and a pair of olive eggs. What the heck is going to come out of these? Lol

How are you with giving injections?  Are you sure she is getting the full dose of meds.  Tetracycline is a good broad spectrum antibiotic.  You need to change the meds you are giving.  This is just my opinion.  I have never seen or smelled a bird with Coryza or Mycoplasma.  I hear it smells like rotten eggs, really bad.  This sweet smell you are describing almost like soda can/recycle bin in the hot summer smell???? It sound like strep throat.  You chicken is choking on food and drink, nasal discharge, with lose gooey eyes???  Oxytetracycline treats most types of strep.  Strep is always in the birdie, during times of stress or other disease/conditions it an come out.  It seems like all chicken respiratory diseases present the same way.  Its a matter of figuring out which on it is, and giving proper treatment.

The reason I asked about tractor supply is: you can get oxytetracycline there, its called liquimyacin.  You can give the pullet .5 cc per 5 lbs of body weight.  So if you have a 10 lb bird it would get 1cc.  You don't have to inject it, you can give it as a drench.  You will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle.  Take the needle off, and you can use the syringe to give it to her orally.  The meds stay in there system for 3 days, so on the end of the 3rd day give her another dose.  She should be cured, if that is what it is.  Her guts are going to be a wreck, she will need yogurt, save-a-chick and scrambled egg.  In a pinch you can use pedia-lyte.  When she starts eating "whole" foods again.  Start her on scratch, it will help her poop not be so runny and gross.

Good Luck!!!  If this is not her problem, or her smell changes, I have more treatment ideas. 

Birds with Mycoplasma or Coryza would be culled at my house.  If you are planning on not selling any birds, or eggs, you can run a closed flock.  They will get sick forever.  Periods of stress, secondary infections, or anything really can cause it to flare up.  If she does pass, you can get a necropsy done, so you know if you other chickens are safe.

Quote:

HEATHER!! This is such awesome information! I am hitting Tractor Supply today for some liquimyacin to keep on hand.

In my experience….usually a chicken.

yuckyuck.gif
LOL!!!

Chad sounds like you are going to have lots of babies today!!!

I woke up to cochins EVERYHWERE!!! I have at least 13 in there now that are out and at least 4 more pips!

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, we have now talked for 1000 pages and 10000 posts!

Last edited:
First off...... Congrats on hitting 1000 pages,,,, looks like Chad wanted to dominate that page....LOL

Duplicate posts..... control freak ! lol

Have 4 nearly all the way out. All together 11 working on it as of right now and a few of those are not even supposed to hatch till Saturday!
Congrats Chad,,,, lookin' like a good hatch on the way !!!
LMAO ! Good one Blarney ! Love it........
yuckyuck.gif
LOL!!!

Chad sounds like you are going to have lots of babies today!!!

I woke up to cochins EVERYHWERE!!! I have at least 13 in there now that are out and at least 4 more pips!

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, we have now talked for 1000 pages and 10000 posts!
SUPER Mama........ instant flock ! And,, who didn't want to hatch until closer spring !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom