Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Ok, that gives everyone the opportunity to say when they intend on attending..unfortunately it won't log who it is....so.....

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

4. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    How are you with giving injections? Are you sure she is getting the full dose of meds. Tetracycline is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. You need to change the meds you are giving. This is just my opinion. I have never seen or smelled a bird with Coryza or Mycoplasma. I hear it smells like rotten eggs, really bad. This sweet smell you are describing almost like soda can/recycle bin in the hot summer smell???? It sound like strep throat. You chicken is choking on food and drink, nasal discharge, with lose gooey eyes??? Oxytetracycline treats most types of strep. Strep is always in the birdie, during times of stress or other disease/conditions it an come out. It seems like all chicken respiratory diseases present the same way. Its a matter of figuring out which on it is, and giving proper treatment.

The reason I asked about tractor supply is: you can get oxytetracycline there, its called liquimyacin. You can give the pullet .5 cc per 5 lbs of body weight. So if you have a 10 lb bird it would get 1cc. You don't have to inject it, you can give it as a drench. You will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle. Take the needle off, and you can use the syringe to give it to her orally. The meds stay in there system for 3 days, so on the end of the 3rd day give her another dose. She should be cured, if that is what it is. Her guts are going to be a wreck, she will need yogurt, save-a-chick and scrambled egg. In a pinch you can use pedia-lyte. When she starts eating "whole" foods again. Start her on scratch, it will help her poop not be so runny and gross.

Good Luck!!! If this is not her problem, or her smell changes, I have more treatment ideas.

Birds with Mycoplasma or Coryza would be culled at my house. If you are planning on not selling any birds, or eggs, you can run a closed flock. They will get sick forever. Periods of stress, secondary infections, or anything really can cause it to flare up. If she does pass, you can get a necropsy done, so you know if you other chickens are safe.

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  5. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I had a chicken with that, I put desitin on her!

6. Ray from PA

Ray from PA Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful ! How many LF Cochins did you get from your hatch ? what colors ?

Hope all turns out well for your pullet ! keep us updated.
    Gotta try it out, make sure it works ! What's 4 or 6 peeps,,, you'll hardly notice them.......LOL

Great article Sally,,, good info ! Hoping you add it to your signature so it's available to others.

7. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Ray, 6 presently, with 5 more pips and then several eggs to go [​IMG]

So far 5 blue and #6 is either very dark blue or black. Hoping to wake up to twice this amount in the a.m.!

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Wow! Ok. So one hatched about 1:30. Now have a bator rocking. Have the one out and 9 pipped and moving. Another just sprung rom the shell. This is like hatching stadium here!

9. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Have 4 nearly all the way out. All together 11 working on it as of right now and a few of those are not even supposed to hatch till Saturday!

10. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Will post some pics in a lil bit from my phone. Using the iPad and it's not the new gen with the camera.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by