Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

If mine have a sour crop I will separate them from the others and I withhold food and only give water with Apple Cider Vinegar in it for the first day. I also massage the crop and to try and get things broken up and moving through in there. You might need to massage every hour or two to work things through. The next morning, if the crop is down pretty well, I will then give olive oil soaked in bread. I still use the ACV in the water. If things look good after that, I will start them off on some yogurt and then progress to feed if everything else seems to be moving through OK.
The sour crop is from grasses or seeds that get stuck in there and start to ferment and grow yeast in there.
For the impacted crop that isn't sour, I concentrate more on the olive oil and massage to get that ball broken up in there.
However, I just learned from my sweet Favorelle hen Shirley that I lost yesterday, not all sour crops feel like a water balloon. I found hers to late. It felt more like sludge was in there and it was not real large. I started to massage her crop and feel around and an awful odor came from her mouth. I figured it out too late. So, I will also say if the crop feel sludgey in there, I would treat for sour crop.
You can also treat sour crop with Nystatin but you do need a prescription for that.

If mine have a sour crop I will separate them from the others and I withhold food and only give water with Apple Cider Vinegar in it for the first day. I also massage the crop and to try and get things broken up and moving through in there. You might need to massage every hour or two to work things through. The next morning, if the crop is down pretty well, I will then give olive oil soaked in bread. I still use the ACV in the water. If things look good after that, I will start them off on some yogurt and then progress to feed if everything else seems to be moving through OK.
The sour crop is from grasses or seeds that get stuck in there and start to ferment and grow yeast in there.
For the impacted crop that isn't sour, I concentrate more on the olive oil and massage to get that ball broken up in there.
However, I just learned from my sweet Favorelle hen Shirley that I lost yesterday, not all sour crops feel like a water balloon. I found hers to late. It felt more like sludge was in there and it was not real large. I started to massage her crop and feel around and an awful odor came from her mouth. I figured it out too late. So, I will also say if the crop feel sludgey in there, I would treat for sour crop.
You can also treat sour crop with Nystatin but you do need a prescription for that.
I'm sorry your loss
hugs.gif
,....thank you for sharing your experiences, so many to learn from-our own & from others

My 1st Article Submission.....to BYC Contest! Ya all remember those nasty vent pics!! LMAO!!

My Article is being submitted because I almost lost my Beautiful Blue Cochin, Fluffy due to Vent Gleet this past Summer. What a stressful learning experience and WOW hard to find information to treat naturally. My girl was so thin and so wasted away and this treatment was AMAZING so I just have to share everything I learned in the process this past summer, and trust me I kept ALL the information I found and all the pictures I took when I was trying so hard to figure out what was wrong! So sharing is hoping to help someone else in that same stressful situation to get through and have the info they need at hand.

Vent Gleet aka "Nasty Chicken Butt"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

So im getting the hatching bug especially since my DM got us an incubator for Xmas but in trying to restrain myself til feb!! Still telling myself I don't want a bunch of chicks in the house all winter but you guys are killing me!!
Eggs eggs eggs eggs

I am SO excited! I emailed the person I got Tara from (mama in my calico project) about this really light partridge silkie I have in the incubator. She said this is just what Tara looked like as a baby :love So far I have 4 silkies out, 2 bantam langshans and one blue LF cochin. Oh, and one super special baby that isn't mine :/
Awwww! This is what I have in bator? Very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom