Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

McC... We had a hen that began staying either on the roost through the day or frequently in a nest box and would come out when we were around. Our hen did it that time because one of the Roos was stalking her! Each time the poor girl went out trying to roam with the rest he would jump her. Poor thing would come running/flying full speed to us and take a flying leap into either our arms or to land on our shoulder when he chased her... he ended up in freezer camp and she came out and roamed freely with the rest after that. If she is missing feathers on her back from the roo he may be fixating on her too much and she feels 'safe' in the box. Maybe get her a hen apron to protect her back because it may be tender also...
    If it's not rooster induced then I would go with the hormone induced option, she may be 'trying' to go broody and just hasn't committed to it yet.

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    MC, that is happening to me too! I don't know about yours, but for me it was the eggs were freezing!!

3. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Wing, that is about 40 minutes from us.

4. mama2my4

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Who here raises mealworms? Anyone?

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

We do... we have two storage tubs (maybe 16qt size?? Enough to treat the birds pretty regularly but not hard to manage at all.

6. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    Me !!!have had them going on 2 years now,,,started with small tubs that i would seperate,,,,then said the heck with that and dumped them all together in a tote..

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We had two 9 month olds that began laying and then stopped. We started trying out the fermenting oats with their ration and we started getting eggs again.
    I am thinking that different breeds require different rations and it's an experimentation to see what each breed needs. We had various breeds of dairy cattle in the past and you really do have to manage them differently for the breed. Logic tells me chickens would be the same way.
    My opinion ( and this is only my opinion) is that layer ration @ 16% is not sufficient for cold weather. Figure that most chicken ration is formulated for mass feeding of leghorns and sexlinks enmasse. Many of us are raising heritage and unique breeds that are many generations closer to free ranging which would give a higher (bug) protein diet. I am big on offering a selection freechoice and watching what they go for. For instance, we mix our own scratch by adding oats, wheat, barley and BOSS and alfalfa to commercial scratch. The oats are the last to be eaten. However, if we ferment the oats, they are GOBBLED up in a frantic hurry. Obviously there is something in that telling the chickens to EAT ME.
    The molts are just about over in the big ones and they are looking good. Just about time to dose them with the cayenne.
    We also are having a problem in the young marans pen with feather eating. Had to remove the roo because someone was plucking him. We are upping the protein there as much as possible to try and stop the featherplucking. It's a work in progress but we are getting eggs from them at least. DH needs to spend some time this week sitting and observing that pen to see what is going on.
    Tuesday he is going to FarmShow for Dairy Day and he will definitely be checking out the chickens, too. Alas, I must be employed.[​IMG] He will be the grizzly old geezer making jokes and raising hell.
    DD was there today and posted some FB pics for us. I will try to upload for everyone.

8. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    gotta vent just a little....
    went to grocery store today with hubby (grocery shopping is his ) I couldn't believe the things I saw there....6 eggs for $2.59 ( free range my arse ) ......4 very small frozen quail for $12.00......frozen turducken for $70.00.......a very small pack of lamb about the size of a piece of bread for $20.00.....

are people really buying this stuff, or am i just way out of touch with normal people,,,,,have i been growing and raising my own food for so long that I lost track...

i admit that i avoid the grocery store and the little bit of meat that i buy comes from the butcher shop. but really.....

9. they'reHISchickens

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are from my DD today. Her only comment was that the first one was the champion orp. ( She knows we have orps). Not sure why she took turkey pics but they are nice.'many more pics of cows, but i won't post them:)

10. they'reHISchickens

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    wingstone,
    yes and the same people spend $100 on a pair of jeans and don't think twice. I don't know where this money comes from but I sure don't have it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by