Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    these people think this is health food, and have more money than brains, if YOU ask that much for six eggs they would think you were crazy, when we had good eating sheep and tried to sell it already butchered, cut and wrapped for two dollars a pound they thought something was wrong with it, hey, i have a dil that wants organic milk for her kids, my grandkids, so i bought her a milk cow, all she has to do is break it to milk(the cows in milk) my husband made her a head stanchion and taught the cow to go in to eat, all she has to do is milk her ( i also bought a stop kick so she can't kick when milking) guess i will have to break the cow myself if i can hobble down to the barn, i'm sure if i milk betty, the dil will take the milk lol

2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I will admit that my food bill (family of 6) is OUT OF CONTROL!!!! We are trying to learn to eat more local, seasonal food and I plan on growing as much as I can this year. I would love to find a good place for beef and pork. We no longer eat chicken.

We are going to have to go GF here at the beginning of Feb (an experiment for our two children) and I know that is going to break us....

3. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    But I mean what do they live IN??

5. Pngzv

Pngzv Out Of The Brooder

deer steaks and sweetpotatoes life is good

6. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    just don't put them with chickens after they grow up or they will pluck the chickens naked , or at least mine did years ago, so we got rid of the guineas until this past spring when my husband wanted some more so we got him six, they had a coro hen raised with them and were fine with her, but about two weeks ago, they decided they no longer like chickens and ran my young chicks up the hill and onto the road, one got killed and friends have told us (we're at work) that they go across the road themselves and cars have to stop , if one gets hurt i think the rest would attack whatever hurt the one
    BUT i like them, so they stay [​IMG]

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Ditto with Sharron, when we decreased our guineas, I made sure the one I had seen pecking the chickens was removed. They have a pecking order too so you may have to adjust some attitudes. Our three are doing fine now. We shall see what the spring brings with them.

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Me too...LOL...

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    more FS pics for those who cannot go.
    [​IMG]
    This position not recommended for the inexperienced.
    [​IMG]
    Dairy Princess Promotion area-- free!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Would have loved to see this and the arena looks only1/2 full. Hope the pic is visible to you all!
    [​IMG]
    The famous butter sculpture

10. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by