Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. PrnzsButtrcluck

PrnzsButtrcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Hi, Linda! I'm from Wayne Co. Go through Monroe a lot! Welcome!

1 person likes this.
  2. PrnzsButtrcluck

PrnzsButtrcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    And yes....I'm an enabler :p

3. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi Sally. Just trying to keep up with everything going on here. Seems like everytine I log on there are 10 to 15 more pages to catch up on!

4. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    don't want people to think i'm a know it all, cause i'm far from it, but i have had chickens all my life, well since i was around two years old, momma and daddy would buy rir chicks every year, eat the roos as soon as they were big enough to tell, i mean little fellas, the hens got to stay for about a year, when they started slowing up on the eggs we would have chicken and dumpling, chicken and rice, so i do know just a little lol
    cochins, i raised for years, until i saw marans, then marans went so i could have coro sussexs, just like a fart in a wind storm, can't make up my mind what i want lol, so forgive me if i say something, i just mean to help[​IMG]

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Just popped in again here-- can't keep up with you all!
    Farm Show... google it and there are loads of pictures posted if you can't get there.
    Orpingtons... Jody & Charlie Hink are well-known breeders in Slatington PA. When we want chicks, it's worth a drive to them just to see their lovely birds. They live very close to an exit of the Northeast Extension of the Turnpike. From northern Berks Co it's a 45 minute lovely drive out through Lehigh County. Don't be afraid to email them and see what they have available. We have black orpingtons from them who have done very nicely laying and are nice birds personality.
    Our birds are starting to pick up laying-- finally! now we are considering how many we really want to hatch this spring. We bought a 1200 egg Farmmaster we haven't yet heated up, but it has to be moved into our living room if we are going to use it. Too much temp fluctuation everywhere else. But the darn thing is HUGE!
    Good luck with the marans hatches. We still haven't figured them out to get a good hatch rate. Our best hatch came from a non-marans broody. The marans always crush the eggs 3/4 through the incubating:( Incubators give us shrinkwrapped chicks. If you have a secret method, please share.
    When we do start, we are only keeping black marans, so any blues and splashes will be available. We should have olive eggers in the mix too. I am guestimating late March or April for hatching for us.

6. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    of course, that goes without saying[​IMG]

7. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

We had to put ours up on blocks also... with the snow and cold they are spending more time inside and apparently with our groups the game 'tag' must be popular or something... that or they are doing gymnastics to combat boredom... either way they were spilling more than they were drinking! So blocks were set and now no problems.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] that is such an awesome feeling!! Congrats!!

I can't imagine what it will be like trying to catch up after camping weekends this summer! I'll need to figure out an internet connection while at camp just to avoid 3 hrs of reading when we get home!

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Try SgtMom, she's down in Dover and has beautiful FCBM's.
    That is awesome!!! So glad you got them all together!
    Beaglady, didn't see you at the FS today, but wanted to ask, do you have any Chocolate Scovys? I love the colors I have from you...but want Chocolate now. And that one duck is still TINY in comparison to the others! LOL
    LOL I love when Sesame Street sponsors a bad day. Sorry they're all rules, you must have the same luck in picking chicks as I do!
    Hi
    Welcome to the group! If you'd like to be added to the map, let me know. If you'd like to know where the majority of us are, check the link in my sig for the map!
    See...I thought an Ancona was a duck....QUOTE]
    I thought that was ESPECIALLY when picking on Chad or Sally!
    Congrats...aren't those first tiny eggs just amazing??
    LMAO Chicken gymnastics! Oh, and after a day at the farm show...I only came back to 10 pages! GAH! Chiques...I searched and searched for a man in a kilt...but no luck :( I was the idiot with a 2 yo on my shoulders most of the day.... So between throwing my hip out carrying him...and 2 days at the FS with all those people....I think I'm sick! BLECH I hate people! Lots of tea and honey in my future.

9. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Thought I'd put a list here of everyone I have on the map, so anyone who is not on it, I may have just missed your location post! Sorry!

Ash11
    Beaglady
    Blarney
    Chickencowranch
    chiques chicks
    fisherlady
    galgo98
    gardeningmamma
    Heatherscooby
    jfc3202
    Kiomey
    Little Miss Purdy
    mama2my4
    MButerbaugh
    missydcpc
    MotorcycleChick
    msladyhawke
    NewtoFarming
    PaChickenGirl
    Patrickschicks
    Pentamom
    Ray
    rodriguezpoultry
    roseschicks
    Sally Sunshine
    sarasweatman
    sharron
    they'reHISchickens
    wingstone
    wlrabbitry
    zinia8

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    rant:

So we just bought my car 3 months ago. Since then, it's been in the shop every two weeks. Luckily, it's under warranty. AND we bought the extended warranty, because I'm lucky.

This last time though...it's a doozie. I find out the 4 wheel drive doesn't work as I'm trying to drive up my driveway in 14" of snow. It doesn't work well. Because, well, the driveway is UP the side of a hill!!!!!! Great time to find out it doesn't work. So I park my car...which decides to slip into the ditch as I step out of it into the snow. A few days later, I finally make it up most of the way up the driveway (WOOHOO!). I park her and put the E-brake on. Go inside. An hour later and (Carlita) my car has slid 45 feet down the drive way into a snow bank. Lovely.

Take it in the next week. They say it's a sensor and the tires are bald. Now come on. The TIRES are causing the 4WD to not engage? Yeah. Sounds like a PERFECTLY plausible excuse. NOT. So we get the sensor fixed and put on a whole new set of tires. I'm so stoked! Get it picked up, looking all pretty...

Drive her home and now she pulls to one side. That's ok, we knew she was probably out of alignment. I put her into 4WD to get her up the driveway and guess what. Surprise, surprise. New tires DON'T fix a broken 4WD. Know what does? FIXING THE 4WD!!!!!!! So we try again, thinking I'm just an idiot and don't know how to work it, hubby gets into the driver's seat. I walk up to the house in the 40+ mph winds we apparently needed so desperately and watch hubby try. He makes it most of the way up the driveway and when he needed 4WD the most, what happens? Nothing in the rear kicks in. Only this AWFUL grinding noise that he "says" is snow hitting the undercarriage. I'm not a genius but that's almost as plausible as needing new tires to "fix" your 4WD. So he backs it down and leaves it at the neighbor's house. Ridiculous.

So I just called the Kia dealer...AGAIN to schedule another fix. At what point can you lemon a car?

/rant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by