Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Nope, I'll be in Lancaster all day. Have a dress appointment in the morning, then tea in the afternoon and then a party that night!

2. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Yup, my fiancee says they're military, they form up in the line, and follow you wherever you go. And if they want your attention they'll either jump up a little or grab your pants and tug.

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Oh..... they sound adorable! I don't have a place for ducks now, but maybe some time in the future. (note to self... add cute ducks in pond to list of reasons I want to move!!!)

My only experience with ducks has been the 'wild' variety that are used to people at the lakes where we fish... and not really good experience! LOL

And my Dad had geese when I was little, all I really remember about them was that they were mean! Those things hissed at you if you even got anywhere close to them and would flog you at the drop of a hat! Don't know what kind they were, but wasn't a good introduction to the 'water fowl' varieties!

4. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    What a day for Rants! Let it out.. Let it out!! [​IMG]
    OMG That would be so funny to watch!! [​IMG]
    I really want to go to this, maybe next year! Or if I can find one closer to this area! HAHA!! BAZINGA!!!
    Good luck!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Happy Birthday!!

And I had to share my picture of my 1st-est EGG!! Thanks everyone! It was a lot of hard work and waiting!! My lovely Tully left it for me, she is an OEG so her eggs will always be on the small side. disappointed I have to toss it, since I had them medicated, but there will be many more I'm sure! Hoping my other girls we take lead!

Question time!
    1) It looks like they are pulling the feathers from my 1 Hen, Rosie, is that normal? Her tail has like 2 feathers left! poor thing.. So she is wings and a fluffy butt!
    2) Since apparently one of my larger girls is actually a boy, He is not crowing, do I had to worry about him fertilizing the eggs of my 3 girls? And my BF mom says you can't eat an egg that has been fertilized, is that true?

Here it is, next to a store bought Large Egg, it is sooo stinking cute! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had to take a pic of it in the nesting box of course!!

[​IMG]
    Tully is on the Far Right, my Only girl Laying and that is the Nesting box my BF made for them that she actually used!! TEHE
    [​IMG]
    The White chicken in the back is the Roo,Styx, a white cohin, if anyone is interested, If not we may have a chicken dinner? [​IMG]
    Also if anyone needs a nesting box, I can ask the BF to make more, perhaps for a trade? Send me a PM. I was thinking about what kind of Hens I would want, since I only have 3 at the moment. After some research on breeds I was thinking of trying 1 RIR, 1 Australorp, 2 Light Sussex and 2 Oprington. Or if you can recommend a good breeder to go to?

I hope everyone has a nice day![​IMG]

5. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i sure loved mine when i had them but had to get rid of them, they were getting on the road and my mil had a fit, yes they fly quite well, but mine always came back after flying their loops around the place, they also would land in the trees, really funny to see that size of a duck in a tree. the drakes get quite large, the hens, not so much, still bigger than most.

6. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    Nice coop. How much did it cost and how many chickens is is suppose to hold?

7. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Mindy just sent me a telepathic message - she wants ducks. ;-)

They will do fine with just a kiddie pool. If you have a real pond, it just gives them a reason to think they need to spend the night al fresco, where they will eventually get eaten by a fox when the pond is frozen and they can't escape. Since scovies can fly, they escape better than other kinds of ducks, but I always and up losing some when winter and pond coincide.

8. chickencowranch

chickencowranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Mt Wolf, Pa
    My Coop
    Are the comets similar to the red sex links? Are they a crossbred?

9. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Stop by the Beekeepers Assn. honey stand at the far end of the old main hall. I'll be there again on Saturday. Wear a funny hat so I know you're you!

10. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Simply AWESOME!!

Mama2my, Muscovys....uh, I've heard that the drakes can be nasty, uh...and I just can't get past the red thingy.

Rosie, would love to trade for nesting box, but my pure breeds are not laying yet. Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. Feather picking is sometimes a sign of lack of protein, (but not always), getting feed with more protein could be a simple solution to your feather picking problem.

THANK YOU for all the b-day wishes for the boy child. He is suffering through some extensive testing right now, I hope he's not too exhausted to go to school afterward. Bad Momma scheduling testing today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by