Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Rose, yes you can eat fertilized eggs. You won't even know they are fertilized. We are eating chicken periods. Eating the fertilized one can't be any grosser.
    ChickenCowRanch, My understanding is that Golden Buffs, Red Sexlinks, Comets, and several other things are just different names for the same chicken.
    My BR, JG, PR (Partridge Rock), RIR, and Columbian Rock all started laying before my Golden Buffs. I actually don't know for sure if any are laying yet. Stupid birds!

2. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Question time!
    1) It looks like they are pulling the feathers from my 1 Hen, Rosie, is that normal? Her tail has like 2 feathers left! poor thing.. So she is wings and a fluffy butt!
    They can be doing that cause she's low on the totem pole...if they get really bad, I quarantine the one for a few days...sometimes it helps

2) Since apparently one of my larger girls is actually a boy, He is not crowing, do I had to worry about him fertilizing the eggs of my 3 girls? And my BF mom says you can't eat an egg that has been fertilized, is that true?
    Chances are, if he's doing his job, yes they're fertile....this is NOT a bad thing! I love when people say stupid stuff like your BF's mom. Of course you can eat them if they're fertile. There's no difference between a fertile and infertile egg when you crack it open except a small bullseye....which doesn't change the taste, texture or appearance of the egg once it's cooked!

3. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

AND THIS IS WHY I STOPPED EATING EGGS IN MY SOPHOMORE YEAR!!! THANKS!

4. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

the scovies I got from beaglady hardly have the red caruncle.

5. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Updated list

Ash11
    baym
    Beaglady
    Blarney
    Chickencowranch
    chiques chicks
    fisherlady
    galgo98
    gardeningmamma
    Heatherscooby
    jfc3202
    Kiomey
    Little Miss Purdy
    mama2my4
    MButerbaugh
    missydcpc
    mothernaturesdaughter
    MotorcycleChick
    msladyhawke
    NewtoFarming
    PaChickenGirl
    Patrickschicks
    Pentamom
    PrnzsButtrcluck
    Ray
    rodriguezpoultry
    roseschicks
    Sally Sunshine
    sarasweatman
    Sgtmom52
    sharron
    they'reHISchickens
    wingstone
    wlrabbitry
    zinia8

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Hmmm. No matter how disgusting that sounded, you will NOT stop me from eating eggs. However, please stop trying! I LOVE EGGS! And chicken periods (aka eggs) with Haggis is simply divine!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  7. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop

8. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Glad to see I'm not the only one who took pictures of the first egg and an egg in a nest!! I guess this is normal 'chicken person' behavior?[​IMG]

9. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    x3

10. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I have no doubt she would just love them!!! That is the problem, I have trouble keeping her in the house as it is and every time she hears a squawk on the baby monitor she comes running to tell me about it! I don't need quacking added to the list yet! [​IMG]

I can see it now... Chris and I, 2 dogs and 3 ducks headed out on the boat to fish.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

That little dog honestly acts like she thinks the chickens need her attention sunup to sundown. The only way to get her to chill is when she gets to help us put them to bed at night and feed them their snack she goes into the house and is back to 'normal dog' mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by