Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Rose, yes you can eat fertilized eggs. You won't even know they are fertilized. We are eating chicken periods. Eating the fertilized one can't be any grosser.
ChickenCowRanch, My understanding is that Golden Buffs, Red Sexlinks, Comets, and several other things are just different names for the same chicken.
My BR, JG, PR (Partridge Rock), RIR, and Columbian Rock all started laying before my Golden Buffs. I actually don't know for sure if any are laying yet. Stupid birds!

Question time!
1) It looks like they are pulling the feathers from my 1 Hen, Rosie, is that normal? Her tail has like 2 feathers left! poor thing.. So she is wings and a fluffy butt!
They can be doing that cause she's low on the totem pole...if they get really bad, I quarantine the one for a few days...sometimes it helps

2) Since apparently one of my larger girls is actually a boy, He is not crowing, do I had to worry about him fertilizing the eggs of my 3 girls? And my BF mom says you can't eat an egg that has been fertilized, is that true?
Chances are, if he's doing his job, yes they're fertile....this is NOT a bad thing! I love when people say stupid stuff like your BF's mom. Of course you can eat them if they're fertile. There's no difference between a fertile and infertile egg when you crack it open except a small bullseye....which doesn't change the taste, texture or appearance of the egg once it's cooked!

Rose, yes you can eat fertilized eggs. You won't even know they are fertilized. We are eating chicken periods. Eating the fertilized one can't be any grosser.
ChickenCowRanch, My understanding is that Golden Buffs, Red Sexlinks, Comets, and several other things are just different names for the same chicken.
My BR, JG, PR (Partridge Rock), RIR, and Columbian Rock all started laying before my Golden Buffs. I actually don't know for sure if any are laying yet. Stupid birds!

AND THIS IS WHY I STOPPED EATING EGGS IN MY SOPHOMORE YEAR!!! THANKS!

Simply AWESOME!!

Mama2my, Muscovys....uh, I've heard that the drakes can be nasty, uh...and I just can't get past the red thingy.

Rosie, would love to trade for nesting box, but my pure breeds are not laying yet. Yes, you can eat fertilized eggs. Feather picking is sometimes a sign of lack of protein, (but not always), getting feed with more protein could be a simple solution to your feather picking problem.

THANK YOU for all the b-day wishes for the boy child. He is suffering through some extensive testing right now, I hope he's not too exhausted to go to school afterward. Bad Momma scheduling testing today.

the scovies I got from beaglady hardly have the red caruncle.

Updated list

Ash11
baym
Beaglady
Blarney
Chickencowranch
chiques chicks
fisherlady
galgo98
gardeningmamma
Heatherscooby
jfc3202
Kiomey
Little Miss Purdy
mama2my4
MButerbaugh
missydcpc
mothernaturesdaughter
MotorcycleChick
msladyhawke
NewtoFarming
PaChickenGirl
Patrickschicks
Pentamom
PrnzsButtrcluck
Ray
rodriguezpoultry
roseschicks
Sally Sunshine
sarasweatman
Sgtmom52
sharron
they'reHISchickens
wingstone
wlrabbitry
zinia8

Last edited:
Rose, yes you can eat fertilized eggs. You won't even know they are fertilized. We are eating chicken periods.

Hmmm. No matter how disgusting that sounded, you will NOT stop me from eating eggs. However, please stop trying! I LOVE EGGS! And chicken periods (aka eggs) with Haggis is simply divine!

Last edited:

Had to take a pic of it in the nesting box of course!!

Tully is on the Far Right, my Only girl Laying and that is the Nesting box my BF made for them that she actually used!! TEHE

The White chicken in the back is the Roo,Styx, a white cohin, if anyone is interested, If not we may have a chicken dinner?
idunno.gif

Also if anyone needs a nesting box, I can ask the BF to make more, perhaps for a trade? Send me a PM. I was thinking about what kind of Hens I would want, since I only have 3 at the moment. After some research on breeds I was thinking of trying 1 RIR, 1 Australorp, 2 Light Sussex and 2 Oprington. Or if you can recommend a good breeder to go to?

I hope everyone has a nice day!
frow.gif
Glad to see I'm not the only one who took pictures of the first egg and an egg in a nest!! I guess this is normal 'chicken person' behavior?
gig.gif

Mindy just sent me a telepathic message - she wants ducks. ;-)

They will do fine with just a kiddie pool. If you have a real pond, it just gives them a reason to think they need to spend the night al fresco, where they will eventually get eaten by a fox when the pond is frozen and they can't escape. Since scovies can fly, they escape better than other kinds of ducks, but I always and up losing some when winter and pond coincide.
I have no doubt she would just love them!!! That is the problem, I have trouble keeping her in the house as it is and every time she hears a squawk on the baby monitor she comes running to tell me about it! I don't need quacking added to the list yet!
lau.gif

I can see it now... Chris and I, 2 dogs and 3 ducks headed out on the boat to fish....
ep.gif
gig.gif

That little dog honestly acts like she thinks the chickens need her attention sunup to sundown. The only way to get her to chill is when she gets to help us put them to bed at night and feed them their snack she goes into the house and is back to 'normal dog' mode.

Back
Top Bottom