Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I am throwing this out there to see the response, if any.
    DD is a vet tech, recently returned to PA from Texas, and I have been encouraging her to learn to caponize young roos. She is a single mom and could use extra income. At the very least, I want to get her to do caponizing on our hatches this year since we want to raise the roosters for soup anyway. her sister also has bantam cochins that could use the treatment.
    Is there a market for this service in the Berks Co area and surround? Anyone know of anyone who does this?
    I have great faith in her ability to learn this. She has been dealing with animals all her life, is an summa cum laud grad of Texas A&M in Dairy Science, mid-thirties(not a kid). We plan on providing her with enough practice roos to get accomplished at the procedure once we start hatching this year. She assists in all sorts of surgeries in her job.
    I wanted her to go to the NPIP class in December but the vet office she works at didn't think there was a market for treating chickens in the northern Berks area and she just cannot "take off" for a day.
    Any input is welcome.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    15 local serama Set today Thanks to BYC friend Ed!

YOU SHOULD see his ROO! and his girls are gorgeous!!

Heinz77 BBS COCHIN to come Monday!!! [​IMG]this is 1st set coming of "won" eggs! I am hearing I am wacked for choosing these over the wellsumers and exibition RIR. But I gotta stick as close to what I got as I can! I cant build more coops!

YIPPY!!! [​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I wonder if its cost effective, I am sure some would but costs involved would be the kicker. My Grandfather always did his own. [​IMG] adding... he used to say thats what makes his chickens so fat and "choosie" in pa dutch accent!! miss him so RIP Poppop

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

Just got back from the Farm show:) and I am SOOOOooo excited for spring. I have desided what chickens to get :) Now I just need vendors... or where to buy a bird or two at. I want a sumatra black cochin, Wyandotte silver lace, Brahma dark and buff, English Ausralorp black. , And a plymouth rock partidge.. not counting the two black ameracandas..:) i think that be a nice group of birds to run through my garden

5. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, thank God for that!!! Thank You for clearing it up for me![​IMG]

6. Pentamom

Pentamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay!! SO EXCITED HERE!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Out of the original 24 i got 19 Viable, MOVING Babies!!!!! The one to the left is the one I was telling you about earlier Sally. If that one cracks open, then it's 20!!! This would be AMAZING REDEMPTION for my boys!! I'm so excited for them!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  7. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I share a proud mom moment. My DD Izzy just got 1st place in the Junior/Senior Cadette division for Girl Scout's Community 80 Pinewood Derby!! I am so happy, it's a Father/Daughter thing, so DH is really happy too. Check out the Hershey Bar Car!
    [​IMG]

8. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    ? Where do you have those hiding? lol I met your gaggle

9. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    I have an extra black sumatra roo. He's young yet

10. patrickschick

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    We have another class coming up in March. I and the others learned far more than we thought we would. and the biggest benefit to the class is the drawing the blood and proper culture of poultry. Coupled with the wealth of knowledge we picked up on everything from the ground up from both of the speakers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by