Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

hey Brenda! I live in Chester County too! I drive to Delaware County Often to take care of my Mom, so I probably pass close by that property you described.
Loved the PA Farm show food! What the heck do they put in those baked potatoes anyway? And why do they not taste as good at home? The cheese cubes and milkshakes I get, but baked potatoes.... who knew?
Galgo: I was in Massachusettes last weekend for the Northeastern Poultry Congress, I think that would have been the ticket for you. I think I read about a Poultry Conference at the University of Maryland coming up this February 4th. Not sure if they'll cover ducks n geese, or if that's further than you were thinking of going...OR if they even have anything more than classes, but it's worth a google

Thanks for mentioning the meeting in MD, it's not that far from here, and I just signed up!

there's another show, not too far in May, in Sussex County. I think it's a big one. It's in Augusta, New Jersey. Quite a few of the BYCers that I met in MA are showing birds there. Looks like they'll be selling all kinds of birds and eggs and such.

Missy: How cool! I haven't signed up, I have a hatch due that day, and am afraid to be away that long, I could probably trust DH and DS with the hatch, but haven't committed to that idea yet.

there's another show, not too far in May, in Sussex County. I think it's a big one. It's in Augusta, New Jersey. Quite a few of the BYCers that I met in MA are showing birds there. Looks like they'll be selling all kinds of birds and eggs and such.
Missy: How cool! I haven't signed up, I have a hatch due that day, and am afraid to be away that long, I could probably trust DH and DS with the hatch, but haven't committed to that idea yet.

At the fair grounds in Augusta? That should be a cool show...any idea the name of it so I can google it?

And ooohh...what're you hatching??

the show is on May 19th. Sussex County Poultry Fanciers has a Facebook page with more info - I haven't seen it, I don't have a Facebook page. I don't know the name of the show, but when I googled 'Sussex County Poultry Show, Augusta, NJ' I came up with last Spring and this Fall's show info and that gave me an idea of what to expect.

In the bator I've got:
Bantam Mille Fleur Cochins (6)
EE's (10) -3 clear
English Orpingtons (12) 9 clear. =(
White Leghorn/Barred Holland Cross (2)

If I ever figure out how to search on facebook (i can barely post pics!) I'll look for it...

Sorry that all the english orpingtons are clear....I don't really understand incubating....but I at least understand that's not a good sign.

Thanks for mentioning the meeting in MD, it's not that far from here, and I just signed up!

Is that the Delmarva Poultry Conference? I see info on previous conferences on the U of Md website, nothing for 2012.. Did you contact Jennifer Timmons? ..or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Sounds like you need a AC adapter for the car and a generator for the shows!!
big_smile.png
Good luck with your hatches!

Thanks for posting some upcoming shows!! I like the idea of 1 -2 day shows. The only "shows" I've been to are the farm shows where the animals need to be there the entire week. I don't think I could part with them (or trust them there) for an entire week!

Last edited:
Is that the Delmarva Poultry Conference? I see info on previous conferences on the U of Md website, nothing for 2012.. Did you contact Jennifer Timmons? ..or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Mid-Atlantic Small Flock Poultry Expo

http://carroll.umd.edu/ag/poultry.cfm

Saturday February 4, 2012 (Snow Date February 18, 2012

University of MD Extension-Carroll Co & Carroll County Agriculture Center
700 Agriculture Center Dr.
Westminster, MD 21157

If you pre-register (have to download the form and mail it in with a check!) Entrance is $10 per adult, if you pay at the door it's $20!

Hi Karen! Luckily my hen is ok. She lost a lot of feathers and had some raw areas on her skin, but they are healing well. I told my neighbor that if I needed to take my hen to the vet for any treatment related to the attack, I would see her with the bill. I also told her that if her dog showed up on my property again (on the security cameras on my property) I would be calling the state game warden at the Dog Law Enforcement Office. The dog hasn't been around yet since.

That ought to do it, LOL! I have no patience with that kind of silliness on the dog owners part.
rant.gif
We have a Lab who roams the neighborhood here , so my birds can't free range,
sad.png
. He comes "visiting" every once and a while. I think he is brain damaged, or mightily stupid.
idunno.gif
Full grown and acts like a dumb puppy. Lately, they have figured out how to keep him from going thru their rickty fence. In spite of the fact they didn't listen to my sensible suggestion for a lovely trolley between the two big trees in their backyard.
he.gif

One of the collie bitches we bred has a temperment of a police dog, very driven girl.
ya.gif
That's ok, for a while we bred purpose-bred working collies. Anyway, I have to watch her around the poultry. They're fluffy and move and she wants to snuff them.
sad.png
Part of her working drive. I let her out one day to run to the back dog run. Unfortunately, I had accidently forgotten to close the coop door and the Marans were outside happily eating bugs by their run....until my girl showed up and grabbed one.
barnie.gif
I screamed at her and she dropped the hen
D.gif
(who was ok, except for some missing feathers). I called the collie to me... she came,.... spitting feather the width of the ybackyard
lau.gif
I still wonder if she learned her lesson. Probably not.
sad.png
But at least I know now she will drop a bird If I command her too. She's really a great collie, the best working collie we ever brd, just not a chicken herder like her mother.
Karen

Thanks for the info! I think I'll be taking a drive up for that this year if the job permits!
the show is on May 19th. Sussex County Poultry Fanciers has a Facebook page with more info - I haven't seen it, I don't have a Facebook page. I don't know the name of the show, but when I googled 'Sussex County Poultry Show, Augusta, NJ' I came up with last Spring and this Fall's show info and that gave me an idea of what to expect.
In the bator I've got:
Bantam Mille Fleur Cochins (6)
EE's (10) -3 clear
English Orpingtons (12) 9 clear. =(
White Leghorn/Barred Holland Cross (2)

I will be driving up to Pennsylvania next weekend, weather permitting. Have a trio of German New Hampshire for sale. 2 German Pullets and German/American cock. Nice nice trio. Love the rooster. Doug Akers lines. If anyone is interested in purchasing them, PM me for details. They would need to be paid for in advance before I load them up for a 6 hour drive! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom