Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

What's he do? Nibble your bum?

Actually, that is the problem with my other dog. Sometimes he is a bit too serious about being a shepherd - or he has a touch of italian in him.
idunno.gif

I hate dealing with water in cold weather too. These buckets http://www.tractorsupply.com/fortex-calf-mate-calf-feeder-2-gal-capacity-black-2171247 help a lot. Right now I don't have electric out at my chicken area, so I have to make do.

These buckets might be too big for bantams, but are perfect for ducks, turkeys and large fowl. They flex, so you can break the top ice crust with a well-aimed boot heel. If they end up being partially frozen, but too hard to break the crust, just turn them over and stomp on the bottom to knock the ice loose. Helps relieve the frustration of having to mess with ice, lol. Cussing is optional, but seems to improve my aim. If they get waaaay to hard frozen, turn them over and let them sit in a sunny spot for the rest of the day. The ice will come out in a big chunk that can be used for igloo building. Not really, but I always end up with multiple bucket-shaped ice blocks around my chicken yard, and they make me think of igloos. I guess I'm easily entertained.
wee.gif

Oh, good, I'm not the only one entertained by "bucket ice". Mine broke into a peace sign this am!! I was amused!
big_smile.png
This was, of course, after cursing at the three that wouldn't come out before this one...

Oh, good, I'm not the only one entertained by "bucket ice". Mine broke into a peace sign this am!! I was amused! :D This was, of course, after cursing at the three that wouldn't come out before this one...
Excellent!! My Bella grabs up these hunks of ice and plays 'puppy hockey' with them on the de k. They slide amazingly well. Just switched out the waterers for the 3rd time today! Loaded up the runs with straw and the birds are out getting sun snuggled in straw. Got my Khaki Campbell duck eggs today! They got to the post office on Sat, but we were in Jersey all day, so they sat there over the holiday weekend. One was broken, so ii'm guessing there are some detached air cells. Boo. The GOOD news is....Sara lent me her incubator which is warming up right now! Yay!!

Oh, good, I'm not the only one entertained by "bucket ice". Mine broke into a peace sign this am!! I was amused!
big_smile.png
This was, of course, after cursing at the three that wouldn't come out before this one...

Awesome!!

I use the black bowls too, but the smaller ones. I have been changing water every 2 hours today and will be doing the same tomorrow....

OK....just added a 4th light for heat and brought the girlz water and food inside the coop and added more bedding trying to get the temp at least 30 degree's...poor babies!

How many people are heating their coops this week? I am a believer in no added heat, but It is so cold! Especially since I did open the door today, so the windchill was a factor.
My next question is how many opened the door today, and did the girls go (and STAY) out to forage?

Back
Top Bottom