Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Ours should be hatching over the weekend... can't wait to see how many fuzzy butts we end up with!

2. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Ok, need more advice please.... The chicken with the impacted crop again, crop feels good now but she's just not eating! She's drinking fine. I've since brought her inside in a cage so that I could watch her. Tail is down, eyes and breathing normal. She picks around inside cage a bit. Is cleaning her feathers and acting normal. Doesn't poop much but has pooped (of course she isn't really eating) I've given her oatmeal - didn't eat and also some bread which she normally loves but has only picked at it a little. Her stool is small and dark. Any thoughts or advice for what could be wrong? Thanks!
    Michele

3. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Oh Heather. So sorry.
    Yes, I've thought as much. Now if it weren't so stinking cold out there, I might be tempted to check. That stinks about the Orp eggs, Jim Hall's got some great birds, I was hoping that would work out for you.

MC I hear ya on the headache. The barometric pressure is messing with me. The LAST thing I should be doing is staring at this screen.

Got my duck eggs in the bator, my vet says to spritz them with water everyday. I'm really not sure what to do. Oh Saaaaally!

Heading toward Philly today, will be stopping at Maria's Bakery, getting some danish….and maybe a rum cake..or some eclairs for the kids? Why are there NO good bakeries out here???

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Oh crud Michelle, I'm not sure, was going to suggest oatmeal, but you've done that. Mine will always eat meal worms. I hope she's ok.

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

MButerbaugh,
    Maybe try giving her some yogurt, our birds like it and if she's had digestive issues it may help settle her system. Radioman frequently adds minced peaches or banana to it.
    Let me know if you need fresh meal worms to tempt her with... I don't know if the bait shops have them yet but we do our own meal worm 'farming' so I can get them to you Friday no problem.
    We add a bit of brown sugar and maple syrup to our oatmeal... seems our birds prefer it that way. Who knew that chickens have a sweet tooth??? LOL

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh NO! I have seen too warm of brooders make chicks weird like this, but I am sure yours are perfect.... That sucks Heather : (
    I have some saveachick on hand if you need it, call me

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    see if she will eat spagetti cut or cooked rice
    include LIGHTLY cooked juicy scrabled egg with them

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

I'm so sorry Heather it is the worst when babies die! Hope maybe if you contact the person you got them from it may help them with future I'm thinking it is something wrong on their end not yours! I'd atleast give them a heads up I'm sure they will say it isn't their fault but they should atleast be told and if they take responsibility for them that's their choice! Hope everything gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by