Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Had a new inmate today, who asked in all earnest, "do you get rooster eggs from them?" I showed him some eggs I just pulled and explained the duck egg, then some eggs from the chicken girls. He asked if they were rooster eggs, so I asked him "you know roosters don't lay eggs, right?" After some giggles all around, he was like "that's right, those are the dudes". Some ofour guys are from the deep city, so I like letting them see the birds. The prison itself quit raising poultry a long time ago, and though it raises beef, they send them to Penn State for butchering, who takes 50% of the cattle for payment. It's a shame they can't do it at the prison and save some money!

2. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
  3. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    was looking at listia.com...anyone try this site....it would be amazing if people actually wanted all the stuff laying around here.....wonder if they can be trusted to actually send the stuff..

4. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

Went out and checked my girls. i have them all together. and yes i know they should have been seperated for a bit. but Its a huge pen and I THOUGHT they play nice. anywho. One of the new birds, a tall fast good looking girl I call road runner . It fits trust me. I notice when i picked her up and lean her forward she had a very clear discharge like she had a mouth full of water. Which she does drink alot of. come out of her mouth. i did it two more times and same thing happen. Now I know a bird can't keep that much water in her little beak. So any clues what it is. she not breathing funny, she's eating just find and drinking every time she runs by the water dish. She doesn't stink or have a smell on her. and she not weazing. should I be worried?

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    She probably just has a crop full of water and when you pick her up, it oozes out. Happens a lot with ducks for me. Make sure she's eating enough food to help absorb the water and keep it in the crop.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

7. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i'm with you, i want to go ahead and start my tomato's but my husband wants to wait til may or june lol, he thinks as soon as they come up, they will be ready to produce[​IMG] i buy most of my seeds from southern exposure seed echange, they have alot of organic and heritage seeds, plus they have a good selection of southern peas and okra. don't need mustard, it comes up byself ever since we planted it one year, can't wait, even tho it hasn't been that bad, still been a long winter without playing in the dirt[​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

9. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I don't think so [​IMG] It's perfectly normal is a bird "throws up" water. I've had it happen plenty of times before. When a bird drinks a lot of water and you pick them up/disturb hem shortly afterwards, sometimes they puke it back up [​IMG] It's very viscus and gross, but I've never had health problems related to it before. The one time, I had it happen at a show. I had just went up in the morning and fed/watered everybody, not expecting anything to happen that day. Well, due to weather, they decided to move judging up a day early. I watched the judge remove my very large, stuffed-looking brahma from her cage. I sat there, momentarily horrified, as she dumped a load of this morning's water all over the judge's lab coat. Even though the judge laughed it off and exclaimed that he had had worse happen, I died a little inside that day [​IMG]

10. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

THANKS for the info on the throwing up chicken... Nice to know they are like little babies...:) how long does the pecking order last. It seems more four birds i had are being extra bullies to the new five birds I just got..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by