Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I had to share!!! Finally figured out what these button quail eggs remind me of......

left tick, middle quail right button quail!!!!!! except these from chad are just a tad greener like that tick!! LMAO!!!
Harmony was like OH GROSS MOM!!!
gig.gif

I had to share!!! Finally figured out what these button quail eggs remind me of......

left tick, middle quail right button quail!!!!!! except these from chad are just a tad greener like that tick!! LMAO!!!
Harmony was like OH GROSS MOM!!!
gig.gif

sickbyc.gif
Gosh, those stuffed ticks are so nasty! Sometimes my dog will bring them inside, and of course nobody wants to touch them so I'm stuck trying to hold him still and pry 'em off in one piece! Ick! But yeah, that's scary similar!

Anyone use a vet for their birds? George wants me to take the turkey hen to a vet, but not sure how to find one. Don't want one that'll just say "put it down or butcher"because I might be likely to get nasty.

Anyone use a vet for their birds? George wants me to take the turkey hen to a vet, but not sure how to find one. Don't want one that'll just say "put it down or butcher"because I might be likely to get nasty.

We have a woman in our club who has been our long-standing "Chicken doctor" and has satisfied all of our bird-health related needs. She does have a career in something veterinary, I'm not quite sure if it's Large animal veterinary studies or something more lab-orientated. If you want, I can ask her about your turkey problem.
smile.png
What exactly is wrong with your bird?
sad.png

I made a mistake. Last night I decided to wash all the eggs not going to the woman wanting to hatch. I knew I should wait, but I was anxious. DH comes home on Mondays, and I always want him to see a clean house. That includes all eggs washed, and in a carton.
Thismorning I saw the neighbor, and asked about the incubator. After lecturing me on not being able to hatch chicks in the winter, she asked her mother (they are all mentally slow) who actually said no! So she said she would hatch for me. As much as I don't like the idea, I am willing to do it. She swears that she knows what she is doing, and is capable of helping chicks out. Listening to her, I see that she knows a good deal, but not as much as I have learned. In the end, I won't ask, and hope she doesn't tell. I also hope that I get to see them hatching, or soon after. No one is allowed in their house (they are hoarders) so I doubt I will get to. My hope is that I have gained her mother's trust over the past year.
Anyway, here is to a good hatch!!

oh my gosh! I think I'll stick to the heritage breeds, 45-60 pounds of turkey is too much turkey for this girl
lol.png

We love huge turkeys. I think of them as pigs with wings. I've never convinced DH that I should raise a pig or 2, so turkeys fill in that gap. This past fall, we made small-ish batches of 10 or 12 different kinds of sausage from turkey. We also cut the big breasts into steaks for summer grilling. They kick butt with an orange/soy/sesame marinade. Turkey thighs taste amazingly close to pork when cooked with sauerkraut. I also pressure can boneless turkey meat for quick meals, and to add to casseroles and soup.

The biggest turkey we ever raised dressed out to 44#. We cooked it for Thanksgiving and sent everyone home with lots of leftovers. One breast slice seriously covered the dinner plate.

We have a woman in our club who has been our long-standing "Chicken doctor" and has satisfied all of our bird-health related needs. She does have a career in something veterinary, I'm not quite sure if it's Large animal veterinary studies or something more lab-orientated. If you want, I can ask her about your turkey problem.
smile.png
What exactly is wrong with your bird?
sad.png

She went down yesterday. I think possibly the tom was too rough on her. Her hocks are all scuffed up, plus the wingtips, and some gravel marks in her belly. The main problem is her leg, which is swollen and now I believe out of place. It doesn't seem to curl the toes as much as the good leg does, when you flex it. You know, the natural reflexes or whatever when you flex a bird leg, the toes curl all up? Well, that leg only does it a little bit. Maybe a slipped tendon, but the achilles SEEMS to be in place (from what I've read and my best abilities), but I think it's out at the hip. The swelling and my inexperience prevents me from feeling what's wrong up there, but it's bruised black. Now, it's out to the side, even when I hold her up, she can somewhat move it, but it's out to the side. I believe last night, it popped out of place, since it wasn't to the side until this morning. She wasn't walking on it, and I tried to lay her on her good side last night, but this morning it was splayed out. She's a 20lb BBW hen. Most would say "ah, just butcher her", but I love these turkey girls, and even the boyfriend is up for vet care to get her back to health (he loves them too).

Back
Top Bottom