Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The only method I've found to be effective is laying down a layer of straw, newspaper on top of that, and then more straw to finish it off. I planted tomatoes, peppers, and beans the other year and that's the only way I've kept irritating weeds from coming up all over the place. I only leave about 1 - 1 1/2 square foot of dirt exposed around the immediate area of the plant, so it can get access to water, have room to grow, etc. That, and I only have to weed to square. That sure beats hoeing the living crap out of my garden all the time! just be careful to get straw and not hay. The seeds in the hay will irritate you far more when they come up then the grass ever will [​IMG]

2. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]..my goodness you are all busy on here...I can't miss one day, takes me forever to get caught-up!!, still back on pg.1313..[​IMG], thought "forget it" & jumped here...I'll go back through, I can't help myself...[​IMG]..Hello and welcome to all new[​IMG], and keep those fluffy-baby pics comin'...so cute!!!

3. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Is it possible that's she's broken her femur? how old is this bird again?

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    It's possible. She's 8 months old now. I can't feel much, but the whole leg moves when I mess with it, not just part of the leg. That's why I was thinking dislocation. Though, it might be a broken leg, as it splays out like the little poult that broke its leg, and she still can move it slightly, just like the little poult could. I want to set up something that will hold her body up, but I don't know if that's possible, as it might restrict the lungs, since she's just so heavy. :(

I can't feel the bones in the drumstick, because it's so swollen that it's not even funny. Their legs are already very large, so it's hard to feel the bones to begin with, but with the swelling, it's impossible.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. LeBlackbird

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    It's probably broken [​IMG] She's a meat production bird, she's meant to grow and grow and grow until her body can't support itself anymore. The best that can probably be done is to move her inside, splint the leg and hope for the best. She might recover, she might not. Even if she does fully recover, she might always have a limp and a weak joint/leg. It won't get better if she gets heavier so you might have to consider keeping a close eye on how many calories she's consuming. Keeping her on a diet and straddling her legs might work IF the break heals in a decent manor. The bone probably isn't visibly shifting because her thigh is swollen, the tissue is acting as a bracer. I don't know how to go about splinting her thigh, I've never done it on an upper leg before and I've certainly never done it on a turkey. Doing that would require other opinions and guidance. I don't think it's dislocated it if the bruising is that apparent, and if the leg is actually that moveable. Good luck, recovery sounds like a long, challenging road [​IMG]

6. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Adorable!!!! Congrats!

7. msladyhawke

msladyhawke Poultry Connoisseur

Yikes! Duplicate post...grrr.

8. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Not even going to attempt to comment on all the posts.

I think I'm back now. I'm caught up at least...

If anyone wants on the map either pm me or just put your zipcode in the thread...and as I catch up...I'll get you added.

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky

Well, I found where it's "loose" at, whether it's a break or dislocation, I'm not 100% sure, but leaning towards break. Seems like it's exactly where the poult had been broken, which means that it was the tom who did it. The poult was broken because the kids pushed down on it, breaking that part of the leg. Ugh. I'm not sure how well a heavy bird will heal. I had a duck that was run over who healed completely (still have her, I think, couldn't tell her apart from the rest within a month), but pekin ducks are feather weights compared to this girl. The two little ones, including the poult with a break in the same place, healed fine. I don't know if I can set this leg though. It's "in place" now, but without being able to feel the bone all around, I'm not sure if it's set. She's a MUCH bigger bird than a tiny poult, so setting would require much more strength and with that big of a muscle being swollen, I can't feel what I'm doing. I'm going to set up a hoist for her, using a feed bag and a hand towel. I just have to figure out how to make a stand for her. For now, I'm going to find a place in the basement, but that'll be stationary, until I can figure out a mobile version. I'll have to keep the toms away from BOTH hens, and only allow supervised copulation. Fun stuff. I wonder if there are any swivel style wheels out there that will go "off road", for her to be able to go back outside. This house, she could possibly be a house bird for a little while, but at the new house, it's all carpet crap, which would make it hard for her to move the wheels.

The sad thing is that all of my meat birds WERE kept on a diet. She's only 20lbs, which is actually pretty light for her age and breed. I tried to keep them lighter to prevent this kind of thing. I just feel like such a jerk right now. At least now that I found WHERE the problem is and WHAT it is, I can do more to fix it, besides just letting her sit in the house suffering. Please cross fingers that I can get her back up. I might be doing some AI on the other hen now and just keep the toms completely off of the ladies. They're light, a royal palm and a royal palm cross, but apparently that wasn't enough.

10. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by