Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    GF?

I will put out kale and chard in a few weeks, but I have raised beds and containers.

2. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    Hi and welcome to all the new people. We area chatty bunch so if you leave for awhile expect about 30 or so pages to read through. Lol. Thanks Missy, now I have the ear song stuck in my head :lol:

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

So if I do a kilt check...that'll be your ears....gotcha!

I planted berry vines around the chicken yard (now the duck yard...LOL) last fall. I have corn, tomatoe, bean, cauliflower, jalapeno, cayenne, lettuce, corn, peas, and I think broccoli seeds in the basement ready to plant.

4. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    I was thinking of pole beans and berries up the one coop. And we always do a "salad" garden. I think my oldest is going to plant herbs this year.... he is a lover of anything mint!

Sorry... Gluten-free.

Did you start your greens indoors already? I plan on doing a lot of containers and raised beds, too. Soil around here is not real good.

5. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    This year I need to double my garden size. Last year it was too small. I want to get the fruit salad trees for some fresh fruit in about 3 years. Has anyone planted those fruit trees and had luck with them? I was looking at them from the Burgess catalog.

6. Baym

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wait, there are kilt checks? Did I miss the memo?

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Mama, I have true peppermint here if you need some. I'm doing bush beans, roma tomatoes, peppers, romaine, spinach, beets, then hopefully apple and peach trees, raspberry starts, blackberry starts, and broccoli. At some point, I want some of those kiwi vines and maybe luffah vines.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  8. Baym

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Ahh my bad, I should have figured that out. I start some stuff indoors, but kale and chard I direct seed. Philadelphia is in a different growing zone than most of the state, so I get a few weeks headstart. Kale grows amazing in cold weather. Chard slows but will pick up as temperatures rise. I will direct lettuce seed around Mar 1.

Indoors I start my herbs and tomatoes.

9. barbiegirl

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
  10. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I didn't count the fruit trees...we have 3 or 4 dwarf apples (one of which has black apples...the chickens adore these) I believe there is a pear tree out there... The boys want me to plant a peach and a plum and a kiwi.

In the herb garden we have mint, rosemary, echinaccea, horseradish and stevia. I'll add sage, oregano, chives, basil, parsley, thyme in the spring.

Oh, I forgot that we have pumpkin and snake gourds in the pile of seeds down there....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by